Another Stunnel post ugg!!

General discussion about Blue Iris
HeneryH

Re: Another Stunnel post ugg!!

Post by HeneryH »

If you ONLY port forward to your BI machine and that BI machine is up do date on its security patches you should be OK. One better level of security would be to run a virtual machine with reverse proxy. I can talk you through that if you'd like.
mr2u53

Post by mr2u53 »

Absolutely please if you could walk me thru that it would make me feel a lot better.
TimG

Post by TimG »

Well worth doing something. Have a look in the "Connections" tab of BI settings to see if there are any unknown connections. I found unknown addresses there from foreign countries, so closed all ports. I now run OpenVPN on my router to allow remote access, but that's a whole new level of complication. It did get rid of the foreign connections though 8-)
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.
HeneryH

Post by HeneryH »

mr2u53 wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:00 am Absolutely please if you could walk me thru that it would make me feel a lot better.
I'll fill this in with more details or maybe start a new thread. While waiting for me to get my notes together you'll need to download a few free apps...
  • Download a Linux system. I happen to use Fedora but many people like to use Ubuntu. Nearly all of the commands I use in the guide will be the same. You could download the full desktop flavor of your Linux VM to get a full desktop environment but since everything is command line I use the server version which uses less resources. https://getfedora.org/ When you download, make sure it is an ISO file.
  • Make a test run or two installing the Linux VM in your VirtualBox app. Create a new VM in VirtualBox and during the install you point to the ISO you downloaded. After the install is complete, depending on the flavor you installed you may need to manually remove the installer ISO from the VM by right clicking on the VM removable disk and say eject.
  • Since I use command line so much and copy/paste doesn't work well with server instances I install a friendly Xterm app to make life easy for me. https://mobaxterm.mobatek.net/ This lets me ssh into my VMs and gets me nice copy/paste features.
mr2u53

Post by mr2u53 »

I am on it! Sounds like a real fun Saturday night. The girlfriend will be painting the kitchen and dinning room so I have some time later tonight to attempt this. I also see your other post so I will read it all before I ask any questions. Thank you so much.
HeneryH

Post by HeneryH »

.... or you could help her paint the kitchen :-)
HeneryH

Post by HeneryH »

I talk a little about Fedora and Ubuntu. If you have some space on your disk you can try both side by side. Just download each ISO and load up to VMs. Side by side, step by step.
mr2u53

Post by mr2u53 »

HeneryH wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:46 pm .... or you could help her paint the kitchen :-)
Ha Ha She doesn't let me paint. All finish work is hers. She loves to change the color of her house and furniture. I do all the behind the scenes stuff.