Really bad night vision with Hikvision DS-2CD2132-F-I

General discussion about Blue Iris
astroiroc

Really bad night vision with Hikvision DS-2CD2132-F-I

Post by astroiroc »

I'm experiencing really bad night video quality with Hikvision dome cameras. Are there settings in BI or do you think the camera itself needs some tweaking
MikeBwca

Re: Really bad night vision with Hikvision DS-2CD2132-F-I

Post by MikeBwca »

You may need to adjust the Contrast/Brightness for night. You can do this automatically in BI, then change it back at sunrise.

Lots of first steps. But, you only need to do this once.

First, find the day Contrast & Brightness settings.
1. Select the camera. on the left of the live preview, between the cameras & timeline, are the Brightness/Contract'IR buttons.
2. During the day, Click the Brightness & contrast. Make a note of the settings.
3. At night... select the camera. Adjust the Contrast until it looks good - usually up 1 number. Usually you'll only need to adjust contrast. But, you may want to adjust the brightness also.
When they look good, make a note of the settings.

4. BI Settings/Schedule. Make sure your Longitude & Latitude is correct. You can find this by using Google Maps.

5. Select the camera/settings/schedule. You will see 2 half yellow circles at the top of the schedule. This indicates sunrise & sunset.
6. (Intentionally left blank - too lazy to renumber)
7. Click the 'Event Schedule...' button.
8. Click 'Enable'.
9. Make sure 'Search-back as startup/reset' is enabled.
10. Click 'Add'. You will see the Sunrise/Sunset times.
11. Change the time to about 30 minutes after the Sunset time. For day, change the time to abut 20 minutes for sunrise.
12. enable 'Relative to sunrise/sunset'.
13. In the 'Function' drop-down, select the contrast setting you found works best at night.
14. Click 'OK'.
15. Steps 10-14 for each Contrast/Brightness setting you want to change at night & day.
I set the night changes to about 30 minutes after sunset, and, about 20 minutes before sunrise, to account for last light and first light - this is different from Sunset/sunrise.
16. When you've entered all the settings changes, click 'OK' twice to exit the cameras settings.

17. Do steps 5-14 for each camera you want to adjust he contrast/brightness automatically.

The result is that every night the camera will change the Contrast/Brightness to the settings you set, and, in the morning will set it back to day settings. It will adjust these times to account for the changes in sunset/sunrise (the 'Relative to sunrise/sunset' setting you enabled in step 12).

If anyone sees errors, please correct.
TimG

Re: Really bad night vision with Hikvision DS-2CD2132-F-I

Post by TimG »

I'm experiencing really bad night video quality with Hikvision dome cameras. Are there settings in BI or do you think the camera itself needs some tweaking
Can you also explain what you mean by "bad night video quality" ? If it's IR reflection, then that's a dome camera issue, or it could be that your IR isn't working. Tell us more - add some pictures here if you can. It could even be that this camera is not very sensitive in low light - my Dahua can see in colour when everything looks dark to my eyes :shock:
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.