Direct-to-Disk questions

General discussion about Blue Iris
TimG

Re: Direct-to-Disk questions

Post by TimG »

I am aware we have users who have problems with BI moving files from 'New' to other folders, and they keep over-filling 'New', which, if it is on the Windows drive - will lead to crashing the pc.

Since we don't have an answer for this yet, I am wondering what happens if you accidentally get the 'New' "Limit size" matched up with the physical size of video files that you have set. For example, if you set "Limit size" to 50GB, and it takes 7 days to fill it up to 50GB, and then you have set "Limit clip age" to 7 days, could this cause BI to make mistakes when moving files ?

In my case, I have 'New' "Limit size" set to 210GB, and "Limit clip age" set to 7 days. I can see that files get moved to 'Stored' after approximately 40 hours, and I don't have any overflow issues. I do have separate SSD and hd for BI as well, so if it did overflow, it would only crash BI5. Maybe setting "Limit size" and "Limit clip age" so they cannot possibly overlap has given me stability :?:
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.
Thixotropic

Post by Thixotropic »

TimG wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:49 am In my case, I have 'New' "Limit size" set to 210GB, and "Limit clip age" set to 7 days. I can see that files get moved to 'Stored' after approximately 40 hours, and I don't have any overflow issues.
I would think that would transfer all the clips from "New" to "Stored" every 7 days, not after 40 hours. Is the "New" directory filling up, triggering a move to New, or...?
Blue Iris 5.x x64 | Windows 10 Pro x64 | 16GB RAM | i7-7700 3.6 GHz | 1TB HDD | 2TB RAID NAS | 9 Cameras | Almost Dual NIC | 2KVA UPS
TimG

Post by TimG »

That's the way I understand it 8-)
Forum Moderator.
TimG

Post by TimG »

To complete my response, I can see that I have 120GB of files for the 22nd Nov, so approx 120GB per day, so it will fill up my 210GB "New" in just less than two days as noted earlier. It keeps just over a months video in my "Stored" folder which is on a 4TB drive. Yay, Maths works :lol:

**Maybe** by ensuring the "limit size" and "limit clip age" are completely different, I have avoided the over fill issue. Or I'm just lucky 8-)
Forum Moderator.