PoE/Wifi Doobell Review

General discussion about Blue Iris
Thixotropic

PoE/Wifi Doobell Review

Post by Thixotropic »

Out of curiosity I bought one of these to test/play with:

2.4GHz WiFi Smart Video Doorbell Full HD Motion Detect Night Vision 2MP RJ45 POE
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-4GHz-WiFi-Sm ... 3996824744
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg (16.37 KiB) Viewed 4833 times
It cost $62 (after a little haggling) and took about a week to arrive. It's totally unbranded, no manufacturer name that I could see.

To make a long story short, it's okay but has some serious flaws. It's advertised as a "PoE device", but it won't power up from a standard PoE switch. It requires that a custom PoE injector (included) be used to power the doorbell. I'm not sure what would happen if you used the custom PoE injector at the same time with a PoE switch.
  • The button feel was good, a nice crisp 'clicky' button. The doorbell has a tamper alarm (a nice feature IMHO) but the doorbell mount is super cheap- one screw holds the doorbell to the mounting frame, and the whole assembly is very flimsy. I've no doubt that you could easily pull this thing right off the wall with very little effort. You could 3D print a much more secure mount, and that's exactly what I'd have done if I kept the doorbell.
    s-l1600-1.jpg
    s-l1600-1.jpg (86.76 KiB) Viewed 4833 times
  • I didn't test the wifi capability because I was specifically interested in connecting this as a PoE device.
  • The speaker was loud enough and the sound quality was good (actually surprisingly good).
  • One nice feature is that the doorbell will work on 8~24VAC *and* on 12~36VDC.
  • The remote chime is *not* included by default, it's an extra $5. The doorbell will operate your original wired chime properly.
  • The ad copy says it can take an SD card ("Micro SD card without limiting capacity"), but I saw no slot for one. In other words, there is no local recording capability as far as I can tell.
  • Image quality was pretty good. I didn't test night vision; it went back in the box as soon as I realized it wouldn't work with a standard PoE switch, but the overall video looked crisp and the colors were faithful and reasonably balanced.
I'd give this a 3 out of 5, mainly because of the PoE issue, otherwise it'd be 4 or 5 stars. All in all this would be a pretty decent door cam but for the fact that it isn't really a standard PoE device. If that doesn't bother you then I'd say it's well worth the $64.
Blue Iris 5.x x64 | Windows 10 Pro x64 | 16GB RAM | i7-7700 3.6 GHz | 1TB HDD | 2TB RAID NAS | 9 Cameras | Almost Dual NIC | 2KVA UPS