A way to receive 4 cameras

General discussion about Blue Iris
Craigst

A way to receive 4 cameras

Post by Craigst »

I really want a way to receive 4 cameras from my parents house to record on my blur iris server but they dont have the best internet connection , i currently have each cam port forwarded but its not very good is there any way to have a program ? zoneminder local at the house and receive all cameras on different channels they are all ip cams / 1 ptz im hoping a program to compress the image or something open to options

thanks
HeneryH

Re: A way to receive 4 cameras

Post by HeneryH »

That solution will be troublesome in many regards.

Why not just get a cheap BI computer for your parents house. A 4-cam system would only need an extremely cheap computer.
reddawg

Post by reddawg »

Craigst wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:31 pm I really want a way to receive 4 cameras from my parents house to record on my blur iris server but they dont have the best internet connection , i currently have each cam port forwarded but its not very good is there any way to have a program ? zoneminder local at the house and receive all cameras on different channels they are all ip cams / 1 ptz im hoping a program to compress the image or something open to options
In general, it's a bad idea to record multiple cameras to a remote server especially over a poor internet connection. The two biggest pitfalls are reliability and bandwidth. Most ISP's impose monthly bandwidth cap limits so recording video from multiple cameras to a remote location over the internet will either get you dropped as a customer or forced to pay high overage fees.

As HenryH suggested, I would buy a cheap Blue Iris computer for your parents house. You can connect remotely using Blue Iris mobile clients, web browser or a remote control agent like RDP or Teamviewer. I would recommend buying a refurbished "HP EliteDesk 800 G1 Intel Core i5-4590 / i5-4570" or "Dell Optiplex 3020 Intel Core i5-4590 / i5-4570" from eBay. You can find deals as low as $139 - $159. Stick with PC's with 8GB of memory and the Professional edition of Windows 10. In regards to Windows 10, the Professional edition allows you to defer "Feature Upgrades" for up to 365 days. The Home edition does not.

HP EliteDesK 800 G1 MT Desktop PC i5 4590 3.30GHz 8GB 500GB HDD Win 10 Pro (eBay) $135.00 free shipping
https://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-EliteDesK-8 ... Swm~1dl7aW

If you buy this computer, remove the NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS card and use the embedded Intel HD 4600 Graphics GPU in the PC as it supports Intel Quick Sync hardware acceleration. The NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS card does not support video encode and decode so it will offer no benefit to Blue Iris. See NVIDIA video encode and decode support list: https://developer.nvidia.com/video-enco ... ix#Decoder
Blue Iris v5.3.9.10 | Win10 x64 version 22H2 | Dahua IPC-HFW2100, Amcrest IP2M-841W, Hikvision MINI PT DS-2CD2F52F-IS, Edimax IC-3030iWn | Intel i5-2500 CPU, 8GB Ram, Samsung 860 EVO 512GB SSD, WD Black 1TB HD.
TimG

Post by TimG »

Yes, I agree. With two BI5 licences, you can then view your parents BI5 installation from your home BI5 installation if I understand it correctly, and the remote pc will ensure you record all the video you are after.

Has anybody tried the BI5 remote viewing ?

I do use Splashtop to view remote computers, so that would be another way if you don't have two BI5 licences.
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.
HeneryH

Post by HeneryH »

I use the BI web interface for 99% of everything I do on my remote computer once it is initially set up and running in steady state. For that small 1% where the web UI won't work I just use TeamViewer remote desktop.
Thixotropic

Post by Thixotropic »

HeneryH wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:45 pm I use the BI web interface for 99% of everything I do on my remote computer once it is initially set up and running in steady state.
Does that require two licenses or just one? I want to (eventually) put my BI setup on the web so I can view the cameras remotely, but I'm not quite there yet. Am I going to need to setup some sort of VPN or port forwarding to do remote viewing?
Blue Iris 5.x x64 | Windows 10 Pro x64 | 16GB RAM | i7-7700 3.6 GHz | 1TB HDD | 2TB RAID NAS | 9 Cameras | Almost Dual NIC | 2KVA UPS
MikeBwca

Post by MikeBwca »

As I understand it, it would require 2 licenses.
HeneryH

Post by HeneryH »

Am I going to need to setup some sort of VPN or port forwarding to do remote viewing?
yes
Does that require two licenses or just one?
Yes, each server instance needs a license but I have been told that if you call customer service they will sell you a second license at a discount.
Thixotropic

Post by Thixotropic »

HeneryH wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:48 pm
Yes, each server instance needs a license but I have been told that if you call customer service they will sell you a second license at a discount.
I don't want the 2nd PC to be a BI server, I just want to be able to view the cameras through a browser from wherever I am. Does BI provide anything like that?
Blue Iris 5.x x64 | Windows 10 Pro x64 | 16GB RAM | i7-7700 3.6 GHz | 1TB HDD | 2TB RAID NAS | 9 Cameras | Almost Dual NIC | 2KVA UPS
TimG

Post by TimG »

Thixotropic: Is that post connected to this thread ? If it is, then the OP could use Splashtop or Teamviewer.
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.