software difficulty

General discussion about Blue Iris
josua70

software difficulty

Post by josua70 »

I don't know what I'm doing wrong with BI. I want it to record on motion, but what it's doing is recording on motion, but then it keeps on recording. More or less 10 min of actual motion, then it keeps on recording for several hours with no motion. BI version 4.8.6.3 w32. Really confused by the help file instructions.
HeneryH

Re: software difficulty

Post by HeneryH »

I record continuously and use motion to add flag markers in my continuous recording but I can try to get the conversation going to help you. Some of the settings are a little strange. We can figure them out together with the community here.

I assume you are using When Triggered as your algorithm in the Recording tab. I see that the two time values are grayed out when using Triggered.
For each profile, you may choose how video will be recorded. You may choose from:
  • When triggered. Select if you want to record only when the camera is triggered by motion or another source.
  • Continuous. Select to record non-stop, which is desirable in some surveillance situations.
  • Periodic (Every X minutes for Y seconds). Use this option to create evenly spaced recordings of a specific duration. If you specify a small duration (such as 0.1 seconds), the net effect is similar to that of the JPEG periodic recording, except you have the option of combining these images into a larger movie file by using the Combine or cut each option. Blue Iris will align the recording times if the period evenly divides a day. For example, if you select to record every 15 minutes, recordings will occur on the hour, and :15, :30 and :45 minutes past the hour.
  • Triggered + Periodic. Combines "when triggered" with period. If you set the duration to 0 seconds, a single frame will be captured. When used with the "combine or cut" option, the effect will be a time-lapse video with normal speed recording only when the camera is triggered.
  • Triggered + Continuous. This option is similar to the "Triggered + Periodic" mode with the important difference that the file is recorded at a normal playback rate and does not require "combine or cut" in order to create a continuously recorded file.
On the Trigger tab, what is your break time?
HeneryH

Post by HeneryH »

Josua, I see that you are posting separate topics that are similar. Please don't post multiple times for the same problem.

Also, I see on the other thread that you mention
I want it to start recording when motion is detected and stop when there is no motion. Please tell me there is an easy way to do this. Currently, it detects motion, starts recording video, then keeps recording after. Example, 5 minutes video, then 2 hrs recording nothing!
It seems like you have a break time set to 5 minutes on the trigger tab. This is how long it will record on each trigger event unless reset by another trigger.

Yet in this thread you say it records for two hours with no motion.

These two comments are not consistent with each other.
josua70

Post by josua70 »

Sorry for the 2 posts, didn't think the first post worked. To clarify, I want it to record when motion is detected and keep recording until there is no motion. Currently it start recording on motion but doesn't stop recording. When I look at the recording, I see what it recorded (motion), say for an example, a deer. When the deer moves out of sight (no movement) , it keeps on recording. I don't know which algorithm, "when triggered, periodic, continuous" to use. Or how many minutes and seconds to type in. Also, how many seconds for the trigger break time.
MikeBwca

Post by MikeBwca »

Did you resolve this?