Blue Iris 4 versus 5, and Win 7 versus Win 10- what's best?

General discussion about Blue Iris
Thixotropic

Blue Iris 4 versus 5, and Win 7 versus Win 10- what's best?

Post by Thixotropic »

I have both Blue Iris 4 and Blue Iris 5, and I also have Win 7 and Win 10.

In your opinion, what's the best combination?

I'm partial to going with Blue Iris 5 on Win 7, but I'm not sure if all the features are supported or not.

No matter what settings or utilities I've tried, Win 10 will reboot whenever it feels like it, and it won't restart Blue Iris when Windows comes back up.
Blue Iris 5.x x64 | Windows 10 Pro x64 | 16GB RAM | i7-7700 3.6 GHz | 1TB HDD | 2TB RAID NAS | 9 Cameras | Almost Dual NIC | 2KVA UPS
HeneryH

Re: Blue Iris 4 versus 5, and Win 7 versus Win 10- what's best?

Post by HeneryH »

No matter what settings or utilities I've tried, Win 10 will reboot whenever it feels like it, and it won't restart Blue Iris when Windows comes back up.
You've got multiple problems that need to get corrected. Doing a clean install of the OS from Microsoft Media Creator, controlling updates to requiring user approval, setting the machine BIOS to power on after an outage and running BI as a service has been rock solid for me and my site is a 3 hour car drive away. It has been running rock solid and recovers from failure every time without user interaction.

Reverting to Win7 is a terrible idea.
Thixotropic

Post by Thixotropic »

Thank you, HeneryH.

The thing is that the PC will power back up and start Windows, but it won't start BI. When I run BI it always asks for Admin Privileges, which requires a manual mouse click.

Maybe reinstall Blue Iris and make sure the install isn't run as an Admin?

As for using the Media Creator, I have a legit copy of Win 10 Pro so I don't think there's an issue with a corrupted install or source files.

Do you recommend running BI as a service versus as a regular application? If so, could you give me an idea as to why it's better or more stable?

Lastly, why would reverting to Win 7 be a bad idea? Can you give me some background on that? I'd be happy to run BI under Win 7 or Win 10, whatever works best.

HeneryH wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:53 pm
You've got multiple problems that need to get corrected. Doing a clean install of the OS from Microsoft Media Creator, controlling updates to requiring user approval, setting the machine BIOS to power on after an outage and running BI as a service has been rock solid for me and my site is a 3 hour car drive away. It has been running rock solid and recovers from failure every time without user interaction.

Reverting to Win7 is a terrible idea.
Blue Iris 5.x x64 | Windows 10 Pro x64 | 16GB RAM | i7-7700 3.6 GHz | 1TB HDD | 2TB RAID NAS | 9 Cameras | Almost Dual NIC | 2KVA UPS
HeneryH

Post by HeneryH »

Do you recommend running BI as a service versus as a regular application? If so, could you give me an idea as to why it's better or more stable?
Run as a service precisely to make sure that it auto starts on boot (UI won't launch on boot, but the core services will run). Set BIOS to power on after loss of power. That gets you 90% of the way there.

Then control software update schedules.
Thixotropic

Post by Thixotropic »

Based on what you said, I think I'm going to wipe the PC, install a stripped-down version of Win 10 and a copy of BI5, and see what happens.

HeneryH wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:31 am
Run as a service precisely to make sure that it auto starts on boot (UI won't launch on boot, but the core services will run). Set BIOS to power on after loss of power. That gets you 90% of the way there.

Then control software update schedules.
HeneryH

Post by HeneryH »

Thixotropic wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:55 pm Based on what you said, I think I'm going to wipe the PC, install a stripped-down version of Win 10 and a copy of BI5, and see what happens.
You'll be glad you did.

Start with a USB Thumb drive created by the Microsoft Media Creation tool.

If you already had a licensed version on your computer you won't likely even need to re-enter the key. Just select the same version that you had previously (ie home/pro) and it will auto detect the key.