Forum extremely slow again...

General discussion about Blue Iris
MikeBwca

Forum extremely slow again...

Post by MikeBwca »

Forum has recently been extremely slow... to a point that It's just to tedious to read and reply.
Anyone else?

WHO IS ONLINE
In total there are 28 users online :: 2 registered, 0 hidden and 26 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 94 on Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:50 am
MikeBwca

Re: Forum extremely slow again...

Post by MikeBwca »

Must have been maint or something going on. Working fine now.

WHO IS ONLINE
In total there are 27 users online :: 3 registered, 0 hidden and 24 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 94 on Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:50 am
CommonSenseAl

Post by CommonSenseAl »

Seems very slow right now. I also run a phpBB forum and I've seen spikes of "weird" requests that come in a really slow it down. Fortunately we found a way to block them... maybe this forum is having the same issue.
Check out my Blue Iris managed Skycam https://tetrion.com/skycam/
LOOPYLOOP

Post by LOOPYLOOP »

is it getting worse? seems to take longer every day, i left it loading for 5 minutes this morning while i got redy for work and it hadn't even loaded then.
I can't remember dial up being this slow 20 years ago
Thixotropic

Post by Thixotropic »

It varies, but yeah, sometimes it's painfully slow. Might be time to bump up the hosting to something a little snappier.
Blue Iris 5.x x64 | Windows 10 Pro x64 | 16GB RAM | i7-7700 3.6 GHz | 1TB HDD | 2TB RAID NAS | 9 Cameras | Almost Dual NIC | 2KVA UPS
MikeBwca

Post by MikeBwca »

It comes & goes. When it gets slow, I just do something else till it 'pops' back.
oceanslider

Post by oceanslider »

It’s definitely something that makes me click away from this forum. Since my time as a member here I have experienced slow loading of pages.

If there is a better forum software/web code, in the future it should be considered.

I have participated in numerous forums for the past 35 years, and I will say that there is a forum that most would consider this forums biggest competition, it has a fantastic web code, if not the best of any forum that I’ve read and participated on.
Dedicated Blue Iris 5 PC : HP ProDesk i5-8500, 8gb RAM, 256gb M.2 SSD(for BI and Windows 10), 8tb drive shucked from WD EasyStore.
Two cameras so far: one IPC-HDW5231R-ZE and one IPC-T5442TM-AS, eventually looking to have about 6 or 7 cameras.
Thixotropic

Post by Thixotropic »

oceanslider wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:52 am I have participated in numerous forums for the past 35 years, and I will say that there is a forum that most would consider this forums biggest competition, it has a fantastic web code, if not the best of any forum that I’ve read and participated on.
I don't think it's the forum code itself. phpBB is decent forum software, but of the many forums I've run, I've always used SMF. I think it's excellent forum software. VBulletin is full featured but very expensive, as are the VBulletin plugins (some of which you'll really need). VBulletin's code is a mess in my humble opinion and I wouldn't use it myself.

So yeah, SMF is what I've used in several dozen forums and I like it a lot. Easy to use, free, and it has a million good plugins, almost all of which are free.
Blue Iris 5.x x64 | Windows 10 Pro x64 | 16GB RAM | i7-7700 3.6 GHz | 1TB HDD | 2TB RAID NAS | 9 Cameras | Almost Dual NIC | 2KVA UPS
MikeBwca

Post by MikeBwca »

Yes, the forum 'that shall not be mentioned', run by 'the name that shall not be mentioned'. It's an excellent forum with good information. However, it's a hostile environment.

It's good that BI has it's own official forum. Originally, the forum was fast & quick. Then there was a database corruption and it could not be restored. Since then, there are slow downs. Not sure if it's caused by maint running, or, by the 2 bots (Bing & Google) scanning the forum.
Thixotropic

Post by Thixotropic »

MikeBwca wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:05 amYes, the forum 'that shall not be mentioned', run by 'the name that shall not be mentioned'.
Hmmm, sounds like there's some history there with SMF. (??)

I was an active user on the SMF forum for a while way back when, even wrote a free SMF plugin for a certain niche service. And yes, it can be a hostile place, but it wasn't always that way. I think it evolved into that over time.