Protected clips deleted?

johnd126

Protected clips deleted?

Post by johnd126 »

Hi,

I am regularly protecting clips (mostly of the neighbour's cat wandering through our yard) but when I go back to view older clips in the web UI it reports 'server is unavailable' when I click on the thumbnail. Shouldn't BI be storing these clips somewhere forever?

thx
TimG

Re: Protected clips deleted?

Post by TimG »

Does anybody use this function ? Can you comment ?

It certainly doesn't make sense if BI5 is deleting them - I would check the logs to verify what is happening - best done by making BI5 create a text file so you can search it. The standard log amalgamates things to show how many times it happened, but the text log is a good old fashioned time based log. It only creates one file a month, so you can put it on your desktop. If it isn't BI5, check if your anti virus exceptions are set up as per the Help file.
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.
IAmATeaf

Post by IAmATeaf »

Have you recently updated BI? I do recall an update where people said they lost their protected clips as an update had untagged them and they were then lost as part storage management.

Personally I never use this feature, if a clip is that important I manually both export and copy the BVR file(s) over to my NAS.
johnd126

Post by johnd126 »

Yes, I update BI all the time: it seems like there's a new update every day. It does seem like it would be something unintentional since the thumbnails still exist. It's only when I click on the thumbnail that I get the error about the server not being available. None of the protected files are anything worth manually copying anywhere. I only access BI using the web interface and I've just noticed that exporting and downloading clips doesn't work either so I wouldn't be able to anyway! Hopefully the issue of the protected clips being moved/deleted is fixed. I'll keep testing it.

For troubleshooting this in the future: how do I get BI to create a text log? I can't find any logging settings anywhere in the settings.

Thanks!
IAmATeaf

Post by IAmATeaf »

If you click on the icon that shows the status page of the cams, storage etc on the Logs tab there should be an option to save the log files away monthly. If this isn’t ticked then a restart of BI clears the logs and they are gone forever.
johnd126

Post by johnd126 »

Thanks. Got the logging configured and will monitor.