Available allocated free space shrinking

briannnuhhh

Available allocated free space shrinking

Post by briannnuhhh »

Hello,

I have a 10TB raid setup to store recordings. I set up to use about 8.5TB for recordings, with the remainder being free space. The database was built from scratch on a freshly formatted drive.

After some time (a least 24hr, maybe more), the allocated free space shrinks down to about 2TB, and recordings begin to be deleted to make space for new ones. If I rebuild the database, the allocated free space returns to the correct amount, but then later shrinks again and must be rebuilt.

Any suggestions? Thank you!
Pogo

Re: Available allocated free space shrinking

Post by Pogo »

I'd start by checking the 'Memory Leak in Version v5.8.0.5' thread (with 2.6 million views) and go from there!
Last edited by Pogo on Sun Jan 14, 2024 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
briannnuhhh

Post by briannnuhhh »

I will check it out. I didn't mention, I am on version 5.7.9.12
Pogo

Post by Pogo »

Sorry for being snarky. It just sounded like you may have been yet another 'latest stable release' victim who missed the glaring thread discussing similar symptoms in the 5.8.x.x release.

With any luck your issue isn't related...., unless it actually began in the later 5.7.x.x releases and wasn't brought to light until 5.8.
Last edited by Pogo on Sun Jan 14, 2024 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
briannnuhhh

Post by briannnuhhh »

Yea it looks to be a separate issue. Memory is fine. Another server running the same version is operating normally. I think it could possibly be non-blue iris related - but raid controller shows all drives are okay, no smart errors, chkdsk okay, etc.
Pogo

Post by Pogo »

The thread wanders quite a bit as you may have discovered already. "Memory Leak" seemed to evolve into storage related cause and effect and beyond and may not have been the best thread title.

If you're running a solid 5.7 version, 0r any solid version for that matter, most would advise sticking with what is working for you.

At this stage (or state) of BI development you couldn't pay me to upgrade beyond my nearly year old 5.7.4.2.

Good luck sorting things out.
IAmATeaf

Post by IAmATeaf »

Does depend on your settings but on an advertised 10Tb HDD you’ll get approx 9.10Tb usable free space so if you’ve set BI storage to 8.5Tb then there’s only really 0.6Tb that might be free?

Not saying it is the issue but worth checking.

For me BI in terms of storage management has been spot on. If you do monitor it then it will temp allocate more space than you’ve actually allocated if it’s recording a clip but the disk management job hasn’t kicked in to remove older files but once that kicks in it should fall into line.
briannnuhhh

Post by briannnuhhh »

Checking the logs, it appears that it detects the "Stored" folder as being full, even though there was only a couple hundred GB of 6TB actually taken. It's not an overallocation issue, I am familiar with that and already fixed that issue on another server that is now working perfectly.