So really, what's the sense of using BI

General discussion about Blue Iris
IAmATeaf

So really, what's the sense of using BI

Post by IAmATeaf »

There are alway use base issues and only the individual can decide if they need it or don’t. I have BI, a dedicated VM box, a NAS, a couple of layer 2 switches etc. and it was me who decided that I need these things and put in the time and effort to both learn and get them configured.

If you have an issue with BI then post details here and the members might be able to help, if BI is not for you then there’s nothing that any member can say to remedy that.

I’m the grand scheme of things I took a risk on BI as the cost of doing so wasn’t exorbitant when compared to other similar products with the view that I could always switch over to a dedicated hardware NVR if need be.

Don’t get me wrong, I’ve had issues with BI, some really frustrating, if my older posts hadn’t been deleted you’d see that I suffered from random BI service crashes for almost a year and had issues with ghosting/smearing of recorded clips but have managed to get these issues resolved now.

I also no longer upgrade my main rig and run on an older stable release but I have a test VM where when time allows I test the latest release. Some people don’t want to test and play around as they don’t have the time or inclination in which case keep the rig on the latest stable until the next stable release is released?

Lastly, something which isn’t emphasised enough, BI supports a multitude of cam make and models which most hardware NVRs won’t entertain so given this it’s not really surprising when somebody pops up with cam make/model and says it doesn’t work!
YrbkMgr

Re: So really, what's the sense of using BI

Post by YrbkMgr »

IAmATeaf wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:19 pm
Don’t get me wrong, I’ve had issues with BI, some really frustrating
I hear ya. And good point about camera compatibility - ONVIF compliant cameras have little trouble working with BI.

My main problem with BI is related to requests for help in certain forums - many folks with a lot of experience have an attitude about helping others out - not here, but in other forums, for sure. Read the Wiki, sift through the Tomes of BI located in the bowls of Minas Tirith... read, study, THEN ask your question. If I'm having problems with my car I don't want to have to learn about what makes a car work - you know, your car is making a noise, I'd like the mechanic to tell me what the problem is and how to fix it - or that it's a normal noise. It's as if they are saying that if you don't want to learn how a car works then you shouldn't bring it to the mechanic in the first place. Kinda the whole point of forums in my view. /endrant
  • "Whenever I take something apart to fix it and put it back together again, I end up with like six really important looking pieces left over" -Tim Allen
  • If you know what your after, you'll recognize it when you see it.
HeneryH

Post by HeneryH »

YrbkMgr wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:11 pm
It's as if they are saying that if you don't want to learn how a car works then you shouldn't bring it to the mechanic in the first place.n't want to learn how a car works then you shouldn't bring it to the mechanic in the first place. Kinda the whole point of forums in my view.
Nope, it like taking your car to a local car show and asking them what is making the noise and not be willing to learn how a car works.

Mechanics are paid to fix cars.
IAmATeaf

Post by IAmATeaf »

HeneryH wrote:
YrbkMgr wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:11 pm
It's as if they are saying that if you don't want to learn how a car works then you shouldn't bring it to the mechanic in the first place.n't want to learn how a car works then you shouldn't bring it to the mechanic in the first place. Kinda the whole point of forums in my view.
Nope, it like taking your car to a local car show and asking them what is making the noise and not be willing to learn how a car works.

Got to agree with this, the other forum isn’t affiliated with BI, just a bunch of random users with a common interest and it sometimes it does get tiring answering the same questions over and over again.

This forum is affiliated but from what I’ve seen, again just another bunch of random users who try and help each other out.

Also from what I’ve learnt, there is no one answer for BI even though the problem may be similar due to wide base of cams that users might be using.

Statements like “I’ve got an i5 so why is BI acting pants” is the type of post that just doesn’t provide enough info. We’d need to know the exact family of the CPU, how much RAM, type of cams, resolution etc. so invariably somebody like me comes along and asks for that info.
MikeBwca

Post by MikeBwca »

I'll take a bakers dozen...... mmmmmm..... donuts
YrbkMgr

Post by YrbkMgr »

HeneryH wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 7:26 pm Nope, it like taking your car to a local car show and asking them what is making the noise and not be willing to learn how a car works.

Are you saying that my criticism is unfair? Or just that the analogy was a poor choice...?
  • "Whenever I take something apart to fix it and put it back together again, I end up with like six really important looking pieces left over" -Tim Allen
IAmATeaf

Post by IAmATeaf »

YrbkMgr wrote:
HeneryH wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 7:26 pm Nope, it like taking your car to a local car show and asking them what is making the noise and not be willing to learn how a car works.

Are you saying that my criticism is unfair? Or just that the analogy was a poor choice...?
I think the analogy is not quite there as it’s really like asking a member of the public what might be wrong with your car but the big difference is that the public here have gathered together and have a common interest Image so might be able to help but at the same time most forums for a specific interest do rely on a degree of self learn.
MikeBwca

Post by MikeBwca »

This thread is soooooo annoying....

I bought a thingy and it doesn't do what I want it too. Make it work, or it's useless.

BI is easy to setup - as a BASIC security system. Using all the advanced features is a huge learning curve. Tutorials and videos help a lot. But, a persons specific uses take more brain cells than just pressing a button.

If a person is not willing to learn, ask. If you don't accept the answers, move on.

It would be nice to have the ability to CLOSE a thread.
TimG

Post by TimG »

Are you saying the answer to the question of "what's the sense of using BI" by the OP is to buy a NVR :lol:

I thought it was 42...
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.
YrbkMgr

Post by YrbkMgr »

TimG wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 6:33 pm Are you saying the answer to the question of "what's the sense of using BI" by the OP is to buy a NVR :lol:

I thought it was 42...
<<slaps forehead>> It IS 42!!!

In the interest of "community", I thought I share this:

A husband and wife are sitting on the couch watching TV and the wife is nursing a glass of wine. The husband hears her whisper "I love you". He leans over to her and says, "is that you talking, or the wine?". She looks up at him and says "Oh, it's me…talking to the wine".