So really, what's the sense of using BI

General discussion about Blue Iris
GAW

Re: So really, what's the sense of using BI

Post by GAW »

I have some experience and noticed some shortcomings in the browser-only approach, and I'm thinking of switching to BI. I've only recently mounted cameras in my front and back yards (Amcrest IP8M-2496) and have been viewing live video with VLC and browsers. Each of the three cameras has a 256GB microSD card recording continuously. The browser interface allows easy playback of detections or any stored video/snapshots. I can open three separate browser windows to view/playback simultaneously. Cool.

But, at least with the newer version of these cameras, the web UI has almost no other functionality. It doesn't show a timeline or allow zooming for instance. So, I'm interested in BI just to provide those critical functions. I'm not quite ready to splurge for more hardware at this time so am looking for a more incremental approach. Right now I need the UI features more than the storage features.

My question is: Can BI retrieve/play clips from the cameras' microSD cards, or does it require its own large local disk storage. I can't really tell from the BI docs I've downloaded.

Thanks,
-GW
TimG

Post by TimG »

My question is: Can BI retrieve/play clips from the cameras' microSD cards, or does it require its own large local disk storage.
Hi, BI5 requires its own storage. It just gets the live video from the cameras. It can also use Onvif triggers.
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.
HeneryH

Post by HeneryH »

Unless you desire the rock hardened solution of recording to SD cards in camera, the best economic solution would be a single larger SSD in the computer.

But I understand you have those costs already sunk.

As mentioned, BI only uses its own storage or inbound feeds.
GAW

Post by GAW »

TimG and HenryH: Thanks for the response and clarity.
GAW
miamichristopher

Post by miamichristopher »

Matts1984 wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:41 pm
miamichristopher wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:46 pm I don't mean to be a wise buy. Does Blue Iris have a solution for stand alone autonomous camera management? The cameras have a build in DVR and just about everything else. I don't want to have to have a computer setup to manage the cameras. I really just need software that lets me connect to the camera and access the videos that are being stored locally on the SD cards. Any suggestions?

Chris
If the cameras are going to do everything themselves and all you want to do is connect to the cameras to view the videos/clips and make settings changes locally.... my best suggestion would be a web browser w/ bookmarks. I can't see why you'd use anything else.
Now I have a couple cameras setup and have noticed that Blue Iris is 5 seconds to minutes delayed from live. A web page does not have this problem. Maybe using a browser with bookmarks, as you said, is the best solution. Seems pretty bad that no one is developing a way to keep the camera view live? If it can be done in a web page, I am sure it can be done in the app. If you want to monitor something, being 5 seconds to minutes delayed from live is totally unacceptable. I am a nube so if there is a way to make Blue Iris just show me an current live view, let me know.

Chris
IAmATeaf

Post by IAmATeaf »

miamichristopher wrote:I don't mean to be a wise buy. Does Blue Iris have a solution for stand alone autonomous camera management? The cameras have a build in DVR and just about everything else. I don't want to have to have a computer setup to manage the cameras. I really just need software that lets me connect to the camera and access the videos that are being stored locally on the SD cards. Any suggestions?

Chris
In that case BI is not for you. I personally don’t know of any solution like that but I’d suggest looking at the apps that cam manufacturers offer to see if maybe they satisfy your needs.
IAmATeaf

Post by IAmATeaf »

miamichristopher wrote:
Matts1984 wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:41 pm
miamichristopher wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:46 pm I don't mean to be a wise buy. Does Blue Iris have a solution for stand alone autonomous camera management? The cameras have a build in DVR and just about everything else. I don't want to have to have a computer setup to manage the cameras. I really just need software that lets me connect to the camera and access the videos that are being stored locally on the SD cards. Any suggestions?

Chris
If the cameras are going to do everything themselves and all you want to do is connect to the cameras to view the videos/clips and make settings changes locally.... my best suggestion would be a web browser w/ bookmarks. I can't see why you'd use anything else.
Now I have a couple cameras setup and have noticed that Blue Iris is 5 seconds to minutes delayed from live. A web page does not have this problem. Maybe using a browser with bookmarks, as you said, is the best solution. Seems pretty bad that no one is developing a way to keep the camera view live? If it can be done in a web page, I am sure it can be done in the app. If you want to monitor something, being 5 seconds to minutes delayed from live is totally unacceptable. I am a nube so if there is a way to make Blue Iris just show me an current live view, let me know.

Chris
You must have something set incorrectly, no idea what with the limited info you’ve posted. I can access live view using the BI mobile app, from my TV using browser access and by also remoting onto the BI PC and none of my live streams are delayed or lag.

Post more details on the cams you have and what or how you have them configured.
TimG

Post by TimG »

Now I have a couple cameras setup and have noticed that Blue Iris is 5 seconds to minutes delayed from live.
I think this may be a keyframe issue. My cams are all real time too like IAmATeaf. We need to see your settings to help.
Forum Moderator.
YrbkMgr

Post by YrbkMgr »

What's the sense of using Blue Iris? In my opinion is...
  • Managing and Archiving Recordings - An often under appreciated feature - Your archive storage is virtually unlimited because you can add storage devices as needed. You have the ability to fine tune archiving with time periods and/or size. You can also automatically engage database compacting/repairing. I don't care anymore about false triggers resulting in storage space being eaten up - Clips and Archiving manages all of that for me. Kind of set it and forget it. You have local access to all of your recordings without a subscription fee - I have clips archived from 2019 ready if I need to review something. That's just a partial list
  • Remote Access - I don't access my cameras via Internet, but being able to use my old phones or tablets to monitor activity via UI3 allows me to put a device in my bedroom and kitchen and see what's happening using a browser.
  • Fine Tuning Alerts - for me, this is a HUGE feature. There are so many options, it's staggering. If I'm away, send me an email alert with 4 images, and a text message with one image... but if I'm home, just send me a text with an image.
  • Fine Tune Recordings - When recording starts/stops/continuous... how long each recording clip should be, all on a per camera basis.
  • Profiles - an extraordinarily robust feature. Day/Night (change motion detection parameters for example), Home/Away, etc.
  • Motion Sensor Fine Tuning - different algorithms available to fine tune motion for a specific environment - how long motion occurs before triggering the camera, what to do when a specific camera is triggered... man, the list goes on.
  • DeepStack Integration - Reduce false alerts.

And a ton more... and everything can be managed locally, by you, without a 3rd party subscription and storage limits. Point is... I can fine tune BI to my specific needs and lifestyle.

Here's something else to consider. Do you want to be locked into a particular manufacturer for camera purchases in order to maintain a consistent interface for managing all of the things mentioned above? Or do you want one ring to rule them all? If you have three different brands of camera, you're looking at three different apps, software, etc. Also, what happens when software/app development ceases because the manufacturer discontinues or or gets bought?

Me? I'd rather have one piece of software that acts as a server, with a mobile companion app that is constantly being developed to manage ALL of my security camera needs/scenarios. Oh, and support speaks my language, so there's that.

One final point - I've been using BI since version 3, circa 2013. I lost my registration or password or something and emailed BI. The developer (Ken) wrote back within hours with the info I needed. That's not a trivial benefit.

Disclaimer - my opinions above are not intended to address Blue Iris vs NVR. I have no experience with NVR. I'm just explaining some of the reasons it makes sense for me to use BI.
  • "Whenever I take something apart to fix it and put it back together again, I end up with like six really important looking pieces left over" -Tim Allen
  • If you know what your after, you'll recognize it when you see it.
TimG

Post by TimG »

I'll buy it :D
Forum Moderator.