Thousands of alerts

Lusk

Thousands of alerts

Post by Lusk »

In one folder I have 56000 alerts which I need to trim down and remove the ones which do not really show anything.

If I manually delete these from the folder, will this stop any clips from playing?
Pogo

Re: Thousands of alerts

Post by Pogo »

Delete some alerts and see if the corresponding clips still play?

It may depend on whether the clips are generated by the alerts. They don't need to be. Kill the alerts if you don't use them.

Motion alone will still provide triggers and generate clips.
IAmATeaf

Post by IAmATeaf »

Are they JPEG files ? Or actual .BVR clips?
Lusk

Post by Lusk »

Just jpeg.
Pogo

Post by Pogo »

Different than 'clips'. Generated and managed differently as well.

You may want to review your recording settings from start to finish including what and why you're recording anything. Then determine if motion or zones or both are practical ways to trigger the desired action(s). Then determine the best method(s) to achieve the types of recordings you want and whether a given situation or camera even needs to create an alert from any given trigger..., including generating .jpegs from alerts.

Alerts can get complex fast. Break it all the way down to the simplest and most basic reason you want or need alerts and go from there. If you are recording continuously and only need alerts for time line indexing of event activity, set it up that way. If you are only recording events based on motion or zone triggers, set things up that way and use the clip viewer for scrubbing (reviewing events). If you're doing a little of both, approach each method according to its specific application.

But right out of the box, check your existing recording settings to see if you may have continuous jpegs being generated for no good reason except for driving you crazy and you forgot all about doing it. LOL The jpegs box below would typically not be checked under 'generally' normal circumstances. If yours is, and for continuous, uncheck it.

jpegs.jpg
jpegs.jpg (115.02 KiB) Viewed 135625 times
Last edited by Pogo on Sun Jan 07, 2024 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lusk

Post by Lusk »

Thanks a lot for this.

Where I use Sentry, do I need them activated?
Pogo

Post by Pogo »

That would be a Sentry question, but from what I understand, Sentry seems to integrate with Blue Iris on its own terms based on the AI features selected. I would suspect the continuous alerts being directly selected would essentially undermine the effectiveness of what Sentry is actually trying to do -- which is to also generate alerts, and lots of em if allowed to do so.

There's one way to find out.
salmawisoky

Post by salmawisoky »

If you manually delete the alerts from the folder in Blue Iris software, it will not stop any clips from playing. Deleting the alerts will only remove them from the folder and the software's database. The actual video clips associated with the alerts will not be affected or deleted. You can safely remove the alerts that do not show anything to trim down your folder without impacting the playback of video clips.