Reolink POE ONVIF/RTSP doorbell camera ?

General discussion about Blue Iris

Moderators: HeneryH, TimG

gingerjoo

Re: Reolink POE ONVIF/RTSP doorbell camera ?

Post by gingerjoo » Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:10 pm

I received my Reolink Doorbell POE yesterday and installed it via ONVIF in blue iris.

With the current doorbell firmware 3.0 version it reports the same connection url scheme as other reolink cameras (like the 820-A's and Duo 1 I have). "/" for main stream and "/h264Preview_01_sub" for the sub stream.

I am unable to currently get a stable connection on the main stream in blue iris (H.265), with the camera disconnecting frequently, but I am getting a stable connection using the Reolink Dev HACS package in Home Assistant, in Frigate etc...
TimG

Post by TimG » Mon Nov 28, 2022 7:06 pm

Does it have any way of telling my home automation that the doorbell has been pressed ? Is there a manual on line now ?

In the UK I'm still getting the "Notify" when I look online for the doorbell and try to buy it. I haven't been able to make a pre-order or anything.
Forum Moderator.
ducem

Post by ducem » Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:36 am

Tim G I used Shipito to get a Pi Kvm from the US.
You buy your item and get a US address. Once item arrives at US address (Shipito) they send you photo and give you options for sending it to UK. Price was very reasonable, and item arrived perfect
TimG

Post by TimG » Thu Dec 01, 2022 7:56 pm

Interesting for some parts, but these come with a plug in sounder which would let the magic blue smoke out if I plugged it into our 240VAC sockets :?
Forum Moderator.
doughboy

Post by doughboy » Thu Dec 22, 2022 11:33 pm

gingerjoo wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:10 pm I am unable to currently get a stable connection on the main stream in blue iris (H.265), with the camera disconnecting frequently, but I am getting a stable connection using the Reolink Dev HACS package in Home Assistant, in Frigate etc...
Just made an account here to say I am having the same issue re: disconnecting in BI occasionally. I don't have disconnects in the native Reolink app or in the web browser view for the camera (connecting to it directly).

I've got the wired PoE camera, for what it is worth, so disconnects aren't expected, and no other wired PoE cameras I have disconnect in BI (older Reolink cameras).

It seems to disconnect briefly (for, say, 20 seconds?) with several minutes between disconnects, but I haven't been sitting here to observe it more carefully to be honest.

Any ideas on fixing this in BI, or if y'all think it's just a camera firmware issue? (there are no updated firmwares available for this that I can find on the Reolink website yet, so i'm running v3.0.0.1459_22102808 which came with the doorbell)

TimG

Post by TimG » Fri Dec 30, 2022 2:12 pm

It's the end of December 2022, and I'm still unable to order it in the UK, so I can't even begin to test it :evil:

"Notify me". Grrr.

I did read that the doorbell sounder connects via 433Mhz, which opens the possibility for connecting it to my home automation system via a RfxTrx433 device to detect button presses. Would test it if I could buy the doorbell. That would allow me to prevent the doorbell sounding at certain times, and to make doorbell announcements over my Alexa speakers. The RfxTrx433 can connect to Byron doorbells, so there is a chance it will work with their generic sounders if you need more noise.

FWIW: Can you set it to H264 to see if that stabilises things ? Ensure basic no frills set up.
Forum Moderator.
Thixotropic

Post by Thixotropic » Sun Jan 01, 2023 5:15 am

FWIW, the Foscam DBW5 doorbell cam has been working 100% since I put it up. The 5Ghz connection is super stable, no dropouts at all. I intended all along to run ethernet to the front door, but there's almost no reason to now. I'll probably still do it after it warms up a bit.

Also, with all the known finickiness of Reolink cams, I'm surprised there seems to be so much interest in it here. :)

I was waiting for it to become available too, but then the Foscam was released with just about everything I wanted, so I got it. So far I'm quite happy with it. 2.4Ghz/5Ghz, RJ45 Ethernet (via included cable), damage-resistant front panel, ONVIF/RTSP, secondary substream, and a very good image.

You might consider it as an alternative if the Reolink still isn't available.
Blue Iris 5.x | Windows 10 Pro Slim | 16GB RAM | i7-7700 3.6 GHz | GTX 1080Ti FE | 8TB RAID NAS | 9 Cams | 2KVA UPS
TimG

Post by TimG » Mon Jan 02, 2023 12:17 pm

The dream of a fully ONVIF compliant POE doorbell camera is the draw. There are many videos now on Youtube stating "This is the one.".

However I'm not so sure either. We already have people reporting the usual Reolink issues with video in BI5, and as usual I'm sure it would all be solved by buying a Reolink NVR. And a subscription. Ho hum.

I still need the doorbell to reliably signal to my home automation that the button has been pushed. I've just removed the old X10 sensor from my doorbell that did just that while stripping out X10 equipment. I do have a zigbee SAGE doorbell sensor that could be called into action. Press doorbell, and if I'm home, the doorbell rings. If I'm away but my wife is here, it rings the doorbell AND plays an MP3 on every Alexa speaker in the house. Good functionality that I don't want to lose by putting in one of these new fangled doorbells. So it either needs to ring the old mechanical ding-dong doorbell, or have a robust method of contacting my home automation.
Forum Moderator.
skynet

Post by skynet » Mon Jan 02, 2023 2:52 pm

Thixotropic wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 1:15 am I got the Foscam DBW5 to try out and so far it seems pretty good, what everyone has been waiting for: a doorbell cam with wired Ethernet.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B093WBF4MD (about $120 US)

It has hardwired Ethernet through a USB-C connector as well as both 2.4 and 5Ghz wifi. The front panel looks darn near break-proof under normal use. I left it plugged in for a few days and it worked just fine, barely got warm.

I'm using the Foscam VMS software to tweak it and I'd say it has a good interface; it lets you tweak practically every setting there is, set schedules, key frames, control external stuff, etc.
I tried this out too and can confirm it works well with BI. I had to send it back for another reason though - I have a large house and couldn't get additional chimes working with it. So I've stuck with a regular doorbell and front-mounted separate camera.
ctuinstra

Post by ctuinstra » Mon Jan 02, 2023 3:36 pm

doughboy wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 11:33 pm
gingerjoo wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:10 pm I am unable to currently get a stable connection on the main stream in blue iris (H.265), with the camera disconnecting frequently, but I am getting a stable connection using the Reolink Dev HACS package in Home Assistant, in Frigate etc...
Just made an account here to say I am having the same issue re: disconnecting in BI occasionally. I don't have disconnects in the native Reolink app or in the web browser view for the camera (connecting to it directly).

I've got the wired PoE camera, for what it is worth, so disconnects aren't expected, and no other wired PoE cameras I have disconnect in BI (older Reolink cameras).

It seems to disconnect briefly (for, say, 20 seconds?) with several minutes between disconnects, but I haven't been sitting here to observe it more carefully to be honest.

Any ideas on fixing this in BI, or if y'all think it's just a camera firmware issue? (there are no updated firmwares available for this that I can find on the Reolink website yet, so i'm running v3.0.0.1459_22102808 which came with the doorbell)
I'm having the same issue. I had both the Roelink App open and BI and watched for a while and the BI drops connections for a few seconds to up 30 seconds or so. At first I thought it might be my wireless router signal, but the app works fine. Even watching the log file, it shows that it has lost connection and then restores the connection. It's only with this camera of the five that I have, although this is the only wireless camera I have. So far this month BI has logged over 3300 drops in signal. I sent a support request to Reolink to see what they have to say about it. They might want to be interested in it. Usually the support from them has been good. There are no firmware updates for the doorbell camera yet. If this goes any further, I will open a new thread.