All camera warnings should be logged

General discussion about Blue Iris
davido84

All camera warnings should be logged

Post by davido84 »

I'm a new user of BI and have so far been very happy with it.

However, on both of my Amcrest cameras, I get a steady, 1-2 seconds on, 2-3 seconds off green warning triangle. This warning is NEVER logged, presumably because it always disappears after a few seconds only to return a few seconds later. Repeat 24/7. Because the warning is never logged, I have no idea what the issue is or how it might be fixed.

I understand this likely indicates a problem with the video stream, however, other than these green warning triangles everything else appears to be working fine.

So I have a request for the BI team:

Any time you're going to display a green warning triangle, for any reason, on any camera, please log the reason. If you go to the trouble of displaying the green triangle, it can't be much more work to log the reason. You can make this setting configurable if the log gets too verbose.

Thanks in advance.
pootug

Re: All camera warnings should be logged

Post by pootug »

Page 50

Warning.
000720.jpg
000720.jpg (999 Bytes) Viewed 4538 times
The Log page in Status contains one or more warning messages or one or more
cameras has an error condition or warning, such as low frame rate (less than 15% of
the observed actual max frame rate), low key frame rate (less than 0.20 if using direct-
to-disk recording, or less than 0.40 if using limit decoding) or there’s a push webcasting
error. Find the camera/s with this symbol displayed in their window header and
then visit the General page in camera settings to further investigate the cause for the
warning

Page 235
S TAT U S M E S SAG E S , LO G S A N D A L E R T S

The Log page in Status is where you will find warnings, errors, and other communication
from the software that does not otherwise appear in any type of popup message box.
If there are errors or warnings on this list, a matching status icon will appear in the
software’s status bar at the lower-right of the main window.
The first column contains an icon representing the “severity” of the log entry—
informational (i), warning (yellow caution triangle), or error (red X). The # column acts to
“roll-up” multiple recent (occurring within 30 minutes of one another) and repetitive
entries. The Object column may be a camera “short name” or a storage folder name, but may
also be a more general system component like Clips or App. If the Message contains a
colon, only the portion of the message that comes before the colon must match another
message in order to cause it to replace that message and increment the # column.
For a more permanent record of what’s added to this list, you may use the Log to file
option. By default, a new log file is created each month to prevent it from growing too large.
For your convenience a View log button is provided. These files are not otherwise managed
and will eventually use considerable disk space. Please be sure to prune this folder on
occasion as required.
The default log filename format and location is
C:\BlueIris\Log\%Y%m.txt
The %Y macro becomes the 4 digit year and the %m macro becomes the 2 digit month.
Attachments
000721.jpg
000721.jpg (107.87 KiB) Viewed 4538 times
TimG

Re: All camera warnings should be logged

Post by TimG »

I would also suggest enabling the text Log by checking "Save to file" as it contains more info than the usual Log. It only makes one file a month:

Screenshot 2023-12-09 112241.png
Screenshot 2023-12-09 112241.png (249.22 KiB) Viewed 4395 times
And in there you will find "Status Alerts" where you can send yourself a message with selected issues. See Help file for details.
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.