IPC WC4MP New Installation

RickG

IPC WC4MP New Installation

Post by RickG »

I've recently installed Blue Iris to access my first IP camera. It is an IPC WC4MP (Avalonix) camera in which installation first uses wired ethernet access to setup wireless access. Everything seems to go as planned, including seeing the IP address of wireless camera on my LAN even after disconnecting the ethernet cable from the camera . . . or after restarting the camera without the ethernet cable. However, the camera won't respond to a "ping", and doesn't respond to a query by Blue Iris. the moment the ethernet cable is plugged back into the camera, access is immediately restored to the wireless IP address. Does someone know what the issue might be?

Rick G
joe

Re: IPC WC4MP New Installation

Post by joe »

Hi Rick, just my thinking what I would do, normally cameras have a built in web page you access through a browser, can you access this while only on wifi?

Most cameras end up with different IP addresses when cabled / wireless, could it be that?
RickG

Post by RickG »

Well . . . . this camera has an IP address for ethernet and an IP address for wireless. I can access the camera via either IP address using a web browser as long as the ethernet is plugged into the camera. The moment it is removed, then the wireless IP address no longer responds to a web browser. Rebooting without the ethernet plugged in doesn't help. So no . . . I can't access it in just wifi mode. My LAN can see the IP address . . . . but it doesn't respond to a "ping" . . . but simply times out. I'm thinking there is an easy fix for this, but I'm loathe to pay the supplier $200/hr for "networking" assistance to make it work. I'm hoping someone on this forum has had to solve this problem before.
Pogo

Post by Pogo »

ICMP traffic blocked on the wi-fi side of the network? Or maybe even at the the camera's firmware?
RickG

Post by RickG »

I'm not sure what is going on.

I used BI recommended port scanner and found an interesting observation. When the ethernet is plugged in . . . . port 80 (and many more ports) is seen. However, when it is unplugged . . . . port 80 goes missing, but the remainder are still there.

On my LAN router I've even reserved both static IP addresses for the wired and wifi ethernet cards on that camera . . . and the LAN router sees them both with the ethernet plugged in, and just the one when it isn't.

I've successfully added a "weather station", a wifi network printer, ROKU televisions and sticks, etc . . . to my LAN without issues. No obvious firewall issues.

The supplier's mobile app can tunnel past my troubles via the internet into the wifi card of the camera via the camera's serial number. So the wife card of the camera is definitely accessible even when the ethernet is unblugged ! But port 80, where the web browser seems to be located for logging into the camera, and where BI tries to gain access, just isn't available in wifi only mode.

Does this help at all? Where should I be looking for trouble spot?
TimG

Post by TimG »

Have you made sure the static IP addresses are not in the DHCP window ?

My first thought was that it could be a POE camera and you are unplugging the ethernet cable...
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.
Pogo

Post by Pogo »

I'm unable to find that camera anywhere, though Avalonix appears to be a CCTVCameraWorld product?

So with access to the camera via ethernet, have you exhausted all of the configuration options that could possibly be associated with its wi-fi parameters? Browser access for wi-fi may not necessarily use port 80 by default (which isn't unusual for IP cameras). 81, 85, 8080 may be there as alternates for http, but may also be user selectable.

And if other ports are indeed open/available via wi-fi, port 554 is basically all you should actually require to add and configure the camera to stream to Blue Iris -- given the appropriate RTSP stream path, of course. A list of both wired and wi-fi ports lsted by your port scanning methods may provide some clues.

Another great approach for wi-fi analysis and port scanning is Analiti Speed Test WiFi Analyzer. Best tool out there for tis type of thing, not to mention for wired network device identification and port scanning as well. Free with only minor annoyance ads and only a few bucks annually to make them go away and uncork a few more features. Anyone responsible for any type of wi-fi opration(s) should have it in their hip pocket. https://analiti.com/
RickG

Post by RickG »

You are correct, this is from CCTV CameraWorld.

The Port scanner can see ports: 80, 110, 119, 143, 554, 563, 993, 995 . . . when ethernet is connected. Hmmmm, I now see that not only port 80, but also port 554 disappears when it is connected only by wifi: 110, 119, 143, 563, 993, 995. BI can find port 80 and 554 and whatever else it needs as long as the wired ethernet card is running.

My LAN router identifies the camera as: DH-IPC-HFW3849T1-AS-PV-S3 . . . . and I looked it up, and it seems to be mis-identified because it reports many features that are not available on the one I purchased.

My "wifi" camera is not PoE . . . . it requires an external power supply, but also requires a wired connection to set the camera up for wifi service.

Yes, it is in Static mode, and that is where the static IP is set. My LAN reserved IP addresses are for static . . . . but reserving those hasn't solved anything, but hasn't created problems either.

As for ports listed from the camera when operating via wired connection:
TCP: 37777
UDP: 37778
HTTP: 80
RTSP: 544
HTTPS: 443

It seems that while the camera, in wifi only mode, successfully joins my LAN . . . it refuses to provide access to a login request and a query request from BI. . . . or from anything else for that matter. HELP!

I am puzzled how their app (DMSS) can get through via the internet and the serial number, even when the camera is in wifi only state. It must be able to log into the camera some how.

Currently I'm learning how to use the camera as a wired camera, its strengths and weaknesses, etc, etc, before I continue on to setting up a full system. But I first need to identify a camera that will work on my LAN when it doesn't have access to a WAN. I live in the country and my internet access is quite good via an ATT hotspot. That hotspot travels with me from time to time, but the household LAN is left intact. My situation is not too dis-similar from the other active thread today. That thread is teaching me that choosing an IP camera for use without internet access or cloud access presents a real challenge. I chose the camera from CCTV CameraWorld to investigate because it doesn't require internet access. It's quite pricey, has good night vision even without an IR lamp, but geez . . . . making it work as a wifi camera on my LAN should NOT require another $200/hr to get it working. This barrier is preventing me from considering an NVR from them. (enough belly-aching)
Pogo

Post by Pogo »

> My LAN router identifies the camera as: DH-IPC-HFW3849T1-AS-PV-S3 . . . . and I looked it up, and it seems to be mis-identified because it reports many features that are not
> available on the one I purchased.

The good news is, it would be a Dahua camera of some variation given that model number. The bad news (or maybe also good news?) is, it's not a wi-fi camera.

We need more identifying information about the camera. Dahua makes cameras for lots of retailers. Yours would seem to fall into that catagory.

Is there a firmware version readily listed in the web UI of the camera with an option to check for updates?

And are you primarily accessing the camera through its web UI, or via DMSS?
Pogo

Post by Pogo »