How to use VPN w/BI

General discussion about Blue Iris
zdriver

How to use VPN w/BI

Post by zdriver »

When I turn on AVG VPN now, BI disconnects. How do I fix that?
louyo

Re: How to use VPN w/BI

Post by louyo »

BI disconnects... Web UI or console?
How are you connecting, remote? LAN?
If Web, what do you have for settings? Maybe show image of settings and Advanced settings.
IAmATeaf

Post by IAmATeaf »

As already posted, we need more info on exactly what you are doing.

I suspect that this might be a case of installing the AVG VPN on the BI PC and then enabling it which will take over the local NIC and create a tunnel to the VPN provider. This will mean that you loose connectivity to BI remotely.
MikeBwca

Post by MikeBwca »

zdriver wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 6:14 am When I turn on AVG VPN now, BI disconnects. How do I fix that?
Well, sorry. Another solution/opinion to add to the thread! :?

When you activate the VPN, your ISP provided public IP Address changes. This breaks remote access as BI is set to your ISP provided public ip address. Well, it doesn't change your ISP public address... it changes the pipeline going in/out of your ISP public address. But the result is the same.

Temporary fix:
You can manually change this in BI by going into BI Settings 'Web server' tab. Then clicking 'Refresh' under 'Remote, external (WAN/internet) acce4ss'. When you turn VPN off, you'll need to refresh this again. Each time you turn on/off VPN, you'll need to do this.

From time-to-time my public IP address changes. Other times I change it. This breaks remote access.

Permanent Fix:
I use the free NO-IP. I've Made my own domain name. Then I use that in BI and a few other apps. I also installed and run the NO-IP DUC app on my Windows 10 machine. DUC will automatically update the domain at NO-IP with the Public IP address when it changes (ISP, VPN, Zerotier...). So, if you use a VPN, Zerotier, or other service, your domain name at NO-IP knows where to connect too.
For example, if I make a domain at NO-IP named 'CCcookies.ddns.net'. I would use that in BI as the Remote/WAN address. Then, no matter how I connect, remote access in BI will always work (as long as DUC is running, AND, the update interval is met).

Note:
I'm always open to corrections/criticism of my posts. If I'm incorrect on something, or, someone has a different view, rely. I'm not a precious little flower that gets rage upset when the wind blows slightly in a different directions.... like... well... some 'other' allegid precious little flower(s) on a nameless site.
Last edited by MikeBwca on Fri Oct 06, 2023 4:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TimG

Post by TimG »

Here I use ZeroTier. It effectively gives you a local LAN connection between remote devices, so no VPN required. Mobile phone has the same ZT IP for LAN AND WAN. I think it may be the simplest way to do this - but then I came from using OpenVPN which makes your brain hurt :shock:
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.
MikeBwca

Post by MikeBwca »

TimG wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 4:33 pm Here I use ZeroTier. It effectively gives you a local LAN connection between remote devices, so no VPN required. Mobile phone has the same ZT IP for LAN AND WAN. I think it may be the simplest way to do this - but then I came from using OpenVPN which makes your brain hurt :shock:
Oh! So, does Zerotier do what I previously described NO-IP does with the the address?
MikeBwca

Post by MikeBwca »

I should clarify....

NO-IP is NOT a VPN type point-to-point tunnel. It manages the IP address used on a machine when it changes.

If you always use a VPN, or other service, you would not need NO-IP.
TimG

Post by TimG »

ZeroTier really is like having a second NIC with a different IP address. A local LAN connection between my BI5 pc and my mobile phone, even if the phone is in a different country. Quite simple to set up too. I'm no expert, but it was easy.
Forum Moderator.
MikeBwca

Post by MikeBwca »

Now I recall reading about this before on this forum. I found I have the links saved to Zerotier.
Wow! My mind is going. Dang. being 68 is getting to be a bi##h.
TimG

Post by TimG »

Have a look here.
Forum Moderator.