Read

General discussion about Blue Iris
Useopensourcenotbl

Read

Post by Useopensourcenotbl »

I don’t remember reading that I was paying for support or just a current version of the software. Full version was how I remember it being worded. Could somebody correct me if I am wrong?

Regardless I think it would be ethical for this forum (unofficial) to keep something pinned so potential new users do understand the entire business model can be upended and you might have software that won’t benefit you unless you pay for support you don’t require. For a year. But when a full license to software becomesi unable to activate that software anymore, it’s sort of a weird situation of being forced to need support, but not for a year just enough time for somebody to cross check on the backend and confirm your subscription but when the software that you bought a full version of operates only by buying Support for a year it seems as if they are
a NVR software support company that licenses NVR software through support for a defined amount if time.

People have commented on other peoples posts, sarcastically, asking them if they think they should get software for free. When I buy a laptop, with Windows 10 on it, and then Windows 11 comes out, eventually most likely as long as I don’t have some hardware differences from the one I purchased that windows install will be upgraded without me having to pay for the software, or for an entire year of service on that software. So I just came to say I will be moving on and buyer beware. The idea of licensed software transferring to a new version of the same software is not practiced by this company and they have brainwashed at least some forum members here into thinking that sort of concept is foreign and a shameful request that should be mocked.

If we bought version four and it was a full subscription and Support requires payment maybe for should be freeware now so at least people who paid for it can feel like they got an actual full subscription and then no support is required for these Little games they are playing with out of version full subscriptions. I mean not even offering the downloads anymore. It’s pretty obvious. If you don’t need Support and I’m sure very few people require so a full year of support for security camera software. You will be happy to know there’s open source out there.

I’m not the only one that wishes I had bought ubnt instead of thinking blueiris was great for a prosumer. Seems more like geeksquad for a specifics version of one piece of software and a years worth.
IAmATeaf

Re: Read

Post by IAmATeaf »

It’s not like you’ve lost a whole lot of money, if you’re that unhappy give BI the boot and move on.

From what I’ve read the BI licensing model has always been that if you have active support you can upgrade to the latest and greatest but this was never enforced until sometime after v5 came out.

You don’t need to keep buying a support plan, my support plan expired a while ago and my BI system is quite happily running. Ijust means I can’t upgrade to a version that came out after my support expired which I’m quite happy about as none of the versions that came out after interest me of have features that I need. As and when something new is introduced that I want then I’ll renew my support, so the model is quite simple.
Pogo

Re: Read

Post by Pogo »

You pay for a license to legally use the software. The software doesn't expire.

1st year support and 1st year upgrades are ancillary with an expiration period clearly defined upon purchase of the software license. Subsequent support/upgrade plans are available at a cost if desired.

A very common model.

The end.