BI running on Synology W10 Virtual Machine

General discussion about Blue Iris
HeneryH

Re: BI running on Synology W10 Virtual Machine

Post by HeneryH »

Maybe check in with Fenderman for his opinion?
niyaleon

Re: BI running on Synology W10 Virtual Machine

Post by niyaleon »

austwhite wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 8:37 am I've thought about this, but the CPU on the Synology would not be powerful enough for Blue Iris, unless you are running absolute basic setup with only one or two cameras. Even then I doubt the CPU would handle it. You would not have any GPU assistance on the Synology either. The 920+ has a celeron based low power CPU if I recall.
Even on an i7 running ProxMox Blue Iris was not a brilliant performer in a Virtual Machine. It works much better on dedicated hardware.
BI may work at a tolerable performance level on one the the higher powered Synology's, but you still wont get the performance of a cheaper second hand i7 PC.
On Synology, you'd be better off sticking to Surveillance Station, or Frigate or something similar to that and not using Blue Iris. Save Blue Iris for a full Windows PC.
You've raised valid points about Synology's CPU limitations for Blue Iris. Opting for dedicated hardware, like a second-hand i7 PC, seems wiser for better performance. Synology may suit Surveillance Station or alternatives like Frigate. Prioritize efficiency for your needs