Subscriptions - please educate me

General discussion about Blue Iris
ksolway

Post by ksolway »

I've just purchased "Blue Iris Extended Maintenance and Support" for a year, because my v4 stopped working and the software has served me well for years, until now. No argument that Blue Iris is quality software.

Does that mean the program will stop working after my subscription expires?

What if I want to install the program on another computer after the subscription has expired?

I haven't been informed of any of this, and am thinking I should ask for a cancellation and refund.

Also, how do I stop auto-subscriptions? I don't see a link anywhere. [update: found that I could unsubscribe in Paypal]
IAmATeaf

Post by IAmATeaf »

The model for BI currently is that you can install updates up until the time that you support sub expires, you then will be stuck at that release unless you renew.

You can only install BI in 1 PC at any one time, if you plan to move your install around then make sure you deactivate the license on your current PC before activating it on the other.

For the support renewal there are 2 prices, the cheaper is an auto-renewal plan, surely you checked that before deciding which to get? I think on the payment site, if you created an account you can logon and cancel the auto-renewal.

In terms of not being informed? Surely it’s up to you to also do your homework after all it’s widely accepted that ignorance isn’t a defense.
ksolway

Re: Subscriptions - please educate me

Post by ksolway »

> In terms of not being informed? Surely it’s up to you to also do your homework

Sure, but I think it would be in the interest of the seller to make things very clear to the customer before purchase. I normally wouldn't make such a purchase unless all the information was clear, simple, and up-front. I only purchased the subscription because I was desperate. :-)
IAmATeaf

Post by IAmATeaf »

This is the screen you must have seen when purchasing support is it not?

It tells you what you are purchasing doesn’t it?

Also why would you think that with a licensed piece of software you could just install and use it on another PC?

ksolway

Post by ksolway »

It tells you what you are purchasing doesn’t it?
It tells you that you are purchasing "Maintenance and support" for a period of one year.

It doesn't tell you that you are purchasing a licence to use the software beyond one year.

Also why would you think that with a licensed piece of software you could just install and use it on another PC?"
It's normal for people to upgrade to a new system every several years, is it not? You can't be expected to use the same PC forever.
Last edited by ksolway on Sat Aug 26, 2023 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
TimG

Post by TimG »

OP: So did it allow you to install BI5 from BI4 ? Useful info for us if it still does.

I hope it is clearer now that your software won't stop working after the 12 month period. You can run it until Windows breaks something else (See other recent threads). You can also move it in the future, as long as you have a version covered by your present support plan. Save a copy. Best to deactivate BI5 on the old pc before moving it as stated before, but worst case, if the pc dies, it simply increments a counter at BI5 HQ. If you change too regularly, you will hit a limit and have to call Support to reset it. A basic protection I believe.
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.
Pogo

Post by Pogo »

TimG wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 1:41 pm You can also move it in the future, as long as you have a version covered by your present support plan.
I believe all that is required to move a single copy of Blue Iris to a different computer is the registration key along with de-activation of the registered copy on the previous computer prior to registration and activation on a new one.
ksolway

Post by ksolway »

TimG wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 1:41 pm OP: So did it allow you to install BI5 from BI4 ? Useful info for us if it still does.
Yes it did, thankfully. It wasn't that straightforward a process, but it worked eventually.

Tip for those upgrading: Export your settings for v4 before upgrading, as well as for v5 after upgrading, in case you need them. Somehow, I did need them.

I hope it is clearer now that your software won't stop working after the 12 month period. You can run it until Windows breaks something else (See other recent threads). You can also move it in the future, as long as you have a version covered by your present support plan. Save a copy. Best to deactivate BI5 on the old pc before moving it as stated before, but worst case, if the pc dies, it simply increments a counter at BI5 HQ. If you change too regularly, you will hit a limit and have to call Support to reset it. A basic protection I believe.
Thanks for the info. That sounds reasonable, if that's how it works.

If I had to move to another computer, I wouldn't want to have to install v4 again and then go through the upgrade process to v5.

I am old school. You buy something once, and that's it. It's difficult for me to accept the subscription model.
ksolway

Post by ksolway »

richards wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 3:27 am if you want to buy once and have a lifetime of free updates and upgrades to blue iris, reach out to me. For 1000 dollars I will provide you with free lifetime blue iris updates keys, you know - old school.
I'm sympathetic to that view, but, ideally, I view a one-time purchase as a kind of investment, for both the seller and the customer.

A satisfied customer, having purchased the product once - for a relatively low price - and then receiving regular free updates, will be telling their friends about how wonderful the software is, which will likely generate many new sales. There's a lot to be said for good-will.

A compromise would be very cheap yearly updates - such as four dollars per year.

But if your sales start to dry up then you may have no choice but to raise the price, just to stay in business.
IAmATeaf

Post by IAmATeaf »

How do you think the author would maintain the business if the price was $4 per year?

I find it really surprising that he can do it for the current prices in all honesty.