Control Timeout from the server not user UI

General discussion about Blue Iris
macpad

Control Timeout from the server not user UI

Post by macpad »

Hi All,

Are there any plans to have an option to control the timeout via the webserver instead of allowing the user to set the limit. I have 4 or 5 people who view on the lan locally and I don't mind then connected all the time, but for remote users it is causing issues with the amount of internet network traffic. It would be nice if I could control the timeout time for certain users instead of allowing users to select. Or am I missing something and this is already possible. Using the max time that a users can connect per day is not really going to work for me I think...
YrbkMgr

Re: Control Timeout from the server not user UI

Post by YrbkMgr »

TBH, it's not entirely clear to me what your aim is. Maybe a little info on gear and environment and such would help - along with "what you got now" and "where you wanna be" kind of description. I'm guessing there's more than one way to skin a cat...
  • "Whenever I take something apart to fix it and put it back together again, I end up with like six really important looking pieces left over" -Tim Allen
  • If you know what your after, you'll recognize it when you see it.
TimG

Post by TimG »

Are there any plans to have an option to control the timeout via the webserver instead of allowing the user to set the limit.
I'm afraid that's a question for Support. Since they don't often answer here, I can only assume they don't read many threads.
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.
macpad

Post by macpad »

Extra information....

I have a couple of camera's over looking a forecourt which is well away from the main building, customers sometimes get lost/forgotten so they need to be view constantly by staff who are onsite. Staff are also able to login from home to check on other cameras but recently they have been logging in and changing there timeouts (now that they know how to) which causes our bandwidth at the site to spike. Yes I could go and give the users hell, but would be so much nicer to restrict access with timeouts fixed by the webserver. Limiting the total amount of time that a user can view the cameras during the day is not really practical as someone would forget to logout and use up all their time...

I guess this is more of a feature upgrade request than a support issue.
YrbkMgr

Post by YrbkMgr »

Staff are also able to login from home
You could change the WAN address every X amount of time which effectively disconnects them from the server. Assuming you have a VPN, you can schedule disconnect/connect and have BI refresh it at the same interval. If you log it as an error, you'll be alerted when the WAN IP changes. Just spitballin' here...
BI Remote Access IP.JPG
BI Remote Access IP.JPG (32.95 KiB) Viewed 1316 times
  • "Whenever I take something apart to fix it and put it back together again, I end up with like six really important looking pieces left over" -Tim Allen
macpad

Post by macpad »

Not sure how that would help, I don't want to have to constantly reboot the router to get a new IP which would knock everyone off that is doing actual work and besides we have a static IP so I am guessing the address would not change.

Like I say, I guess this is more of a feature request...I was just checking there wasn't some other way that I had missed...
YrbkMgr

Post by YrbkMgr »

I wasn't commenting on the merits of your feature request. I think you're right, it would be better as a BI feature. But if remote folks are not listening and it's causing a problem... I was merely suggesting a workaround - so they don't make you crazy in the meantime. My IP is static as well, until I connect via VPN. When I disconnect from my VPN, and then reconnect, I get a new WAN IP. I was suggesting scheduling the disconnect / reconnect to VPN to do so. Task scheduler or any of a dozen ways.

You could also implement router rules that could do the same thing - You can also modify the ui3.htm to hide controls or prevent changing specific settings - there's info on how in UI3 Help -> More Topics --> UI Extensions. Stumbled across it and wanted to pass it along.