How to export/save/capture a clip as BVR?

General discussion about Blue Iris
gbguy

How to export/save/capture a clip as BVR?

Post by gbguy »

My understanding is that a Clip is just reference to a portion of a recording. Is there a way to put that portion ("Clip") into a file? This article on fine tuning Motion Settings https://blueirissoftware.com/forum/view ... =12&t=2526 says to work with a Clip and that if you have problems to "send a short bvr file capturing the issue" to them.

For the life of me I can't figure out how to do that.

TIA
YrbkMgr

Re: How to export/save/capture a clip as BVR?

Post by YrbkMgr »

There are several ways to export a clip. Forget about BVR for now, that's a special case addressed below. Basically, all you have to do is right click on:
1. The Alert clip of interest in the Clips List
2. The player window during playback of a clip
3. The BVR file in the Clips list when viewing All Clips.

If you double click on an Alert clip, BI automatically selects the segment of the BVR when the Alert occurred. You can move the sliders in the player window to include more or less of the recording for export. If you double click the All Clips BVR, the entire clip will play, not just the section of where the alert occurred.

Image below demonstrates double clicking on an Alert clip.
Alert
Alert
Export Alert Clip.JPG (189.82 KiB) Viewed 2655 times
This image shows the playback of the BVR
Clip
Clip
Export BVR Clip.JPG (201.13 KiB) Viewed 2655 times
The length of the BVR from All Clips is determined by the Cut/Combine settings in the Record tab of the camera settings.
Length of BVR
Length of BVR
2022-01-07_205522.JPG (56.37 KiB) Viewed 2655 times
The article you referenced is predicated on the notion that you disable Cut/Combine - this will produce a BVR every time the camera triggers. It is useful in troubleshooting because you can find the BVR and send it to support as a small file instead of a 1 or more hour recording. The downside is that you will build up many small BVR files over time that can challenge database management (there are limits to the number of files that Clips and Archiving can handle before warnings).
  • "Whenever I take something apart to fix it and put it back together again, I end up with like six really important looking pieces left over" -Tim Allen
  • If you know what your after, you'll recognize it when you see it.
gbguy

Post by gbguy »

Thanks so much for the detailed reply (for some reason I wasn't notified of your post). BI Support confirmed that you can't export a BVR from a clip, but thought it would be a good thing to have in the product.

I was trying to determine why some motion detected by BI was not resulting in a trigger. BI Support indicated that a BVR file would be better than an mp4 to help with the issue. That is why I asked the question.

I've since given them an mp4 and all the camera settings to see if they have any ideas. (I think that I have followed all the motion capture advice and have the settings as sensitive as possible - hopefully they can see something that I have missed).

Thanks again!
YrbkMgr

Post by YrbkMgr »

gbguy wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:22 pm Thanks so much for the detailed reply (for some reason I wasn't notified of your post). BI Support confirmed that you can't export a BVR from a clip, but thought it would be a good thing to have in the product.

I was trying to determine why some motion detected by BI was not resulting in a trigger. BI Support indicated that a BVR file would be better than an mp4 to help with the issue. That is why I asked the question.

I've since given them an mp4 and all the camera settings to see if they have any ideas. (I think that I have followed all the motion capture advice and have the settings as sensitive as possible - hopefully they can see something that I have missed).

Thanks again!
No one is getting email notifications. I'm working with admin on it.
  • "Whenever I take something apart to fix it and put it back together again, I end up with like six really important looking pieces left over" -Tim Allen
  • If you know what your after, you'll recognize it when you see it.