NDAA ?

General discussion about Blue Iris
lrw

NDAA ?

Post by lrw »

I hope this is not a sensitive topic. Is BI NDAA compliant? I've searched everywhere and can't find an answer.
Matts1984

Re: NDAA ?

Post by Matts1984 »

That should probably be a question directed to support@blueirissoftware.com If I had to guess... eh sorta. Since Blue Iris is software only and developed within the US of A, I would think yes - Blue Iris is. It's up to you which hardware, and specifically the cameras, you use. Yes Blue Iris DOES support the cameras manufactured within the Peoples Republic, but it does zero communication outbound (or inbound for that matter) unless you configure it to explicitly.

Since the hardware choices are up to you, running Blue Iris on an Intel system should be completely NDAA compliant. The larger task is ensuring your cameras are as well.
Blue Iris 5.8.8.x | Server 2022 VM | Xeon X5650 @ 2.67GHz - 12 Cores | 12GB RAM | 7TB RAID | Sophos UTM WAF | 4x SV3C 5MP Bullet A | 1x SV3C 5MP PTZ HX | 1x SV3C 5MP Bullet HX | 1x SV3C 5MP Dome HX | 2x Amcrest 5MP Bullet
IAmATeaf

NDAA ?

Post by IAmATeaf »

Up until recently it was being developed by a guy in a shed (figuratively speaking) in the USA wasn’t it He now has a few people, again in USA to assist.
lrw

Post by lrw »

Appreciate the replies. Not sure why I have been hesitant to email support but probably will with this encouragement.

I read the PDF help guide so also assumed no ties with entities the NDAA expresses concern. Saw the other posts regarding the two reasons BI communicates out and can turn them off. But then saw other references/posts about the Foscam libraries shared with BI for better integration. Anyways, I should have provided context in first post. I've been running various versions of BI for 10'ish yrs with couple versions of Foscam bullets and doorbell cam but let things get outdated last several years. Then couple months ago had some issues (not go into details) that I decided to scorch Earth and/or upgrade all my computers, tablets, modem, router, and lastly security cam system. I'm in process of switching to NDAA camera brands. I really like BI and want to continue with it via upgrade. Just a little too paranoid with everything now. Hopefully this is a good reminder for others to check and keep everything updated.
Matts1984

Post by Matts1984 »

It definitely is and I think based on your description that BI is a great candidate for what you're talking about (plus you have experience). Without being an official responder to your initial question - short of being installed in a DoD environment - I would have no hesitation to saying this is an NDAA compliant system and no reservations about where the development and money is being handled. I wasn't sure originally if you were asking on behalf of a client that would be reporting to the GAO or have strict DoD compliance to follow... in which case, it's "probably" fine but I didn't want to put my stamp on that.

Sorry about your issues and glad you're on the recovery phase of that. Without knowing details, yeah - thats why my cameras (which I don't trust at all) are on a 100% isolated subnet, my BI server can talk to them directly but they can't talk to anything. I have all of it behind a Unified Threat Management firewall platform that I maintain (granted THAT system is technically linked to the UK - no offense to the UK members here - but I'm completely ok with that) and i tightly control access in/out.
Blue Iris 5.8.8.x | Server 2022 VM | Xeon X5650 @ 2.67GHz - 12 Cores | 12GB RAM | 7TB RAID | Sophos UTM WAF | 4x SV3C 5MP Bullet A | 1x SV3C 5MP PTZ HX | 1x SV3C 5MP Bullet HX | 1x SV3C 5MP Dome HX | 2x Amcrest 5MP Bullet