Performance hit after upgrade

General discussion about Blue Iris
alloveru

Performance hit after upgrade

Post by alloveru »

I don't know if this is a coincidence or not, however, since the last update or me adding two new cameras, the performance of BI has become unusable.
Recordings on all cameras (6 in total) are choppy and frame freezes during the recordings. Trying to play back is almost next to impossible as well. Locally, windows says that BI is not responding, and remotely it just doesn't work.

CPU runs around 25-30%, RAM is 5.41G (machine has 16GB)

What am I missing?

Thanks
IAmATeaf

Re: Performance hit after upgrade

Post by IAmATeaf »

You are missing posting more info like the actual CPU model and if you are running substreams and if recording to BVR, whether overlays are enabled etc.
alloveru

Post by alloveru »

Sorry, here is some details.

Only overlays are the date and time, (date and time off the cameras are completely inaccurate). I am using sub streams, and have it set to record directly to disk. (1TB SSD drive)

All of the sudden this morning when I woke up, the CPU usage is back down to 5-10% and RAM is typically under 700MB. Seems to be better today.

Support data:
Version: Release 5.5.1.17 x64 (2021-10-26)
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X 16-Core Processor [6%]
RAM: 606.9M/16.4G
Clips: 227 items, 136.3G/602.0G
Storage: D: +711.1G, \\ALLUNAS +4.29T
alloveru

Post by alloveru »

Spoke too soon, recording are still freezing. half way through the clip...
IAmATeaf

Post by IAmATeaf »

For the time being wrong on the cams setup NTP time on the BI box and then set your cams to NTP time sync with your BI box, you then should be able to disable BI overlays.

When you get the freezing what does Windows Resource Monitor show, check CPU and disks to see if you can identify what is causing the freeze.

Also it might be worth going back to the last stable release to see if that makes a difference. Other things to try are maybe disable hardware acceleration if you have it enabled, for this there is a setting in the main settings and a setting per cam.

I have noticed that the latest release of BI since after 5.5.1.12 do seem to consume a bit more CPU, my rig used to idle at around or below 25% but with the latest release that I test on a separate box it seems to use 3-6% more.

Apart from BI have you updated anything like the video drivers?