Internal Hard Drive

General discussion about Blue Iris
wfsteadman

Internal Hard Drive

Post by wfsteadman »

Greetings all,
I have a Dell 9020 Mini Tower with a 1 TB SSD Drive and I am running BI 5. I was thinking about adding an additional Internal Hard Drive and wanted to see if a 2TB spinning at 5400 RPM was fast enough for me to store all of my Blue Iris Video to include, new, alerts and stored. I am new to BI so this might be a simple question but would prefer to get the storage off my C: Drive if possible.

I think my PC has a limitation of a 2TB drive which is based on a bit of research.
Any recommendations for storage would be appreciated.

If this is the wrong place to ask this can you please guide me to the right place.

Thanks in advance
Wally
HeneryH

Re: Internal Hard Drive

Post by HeneryH »

The 2tb limit should be only for old 32b machines.

While SSD for the system drive increases performance ALOT, there is less of an improvement for video recording and playback.

I haven't done the math but you might be able to poll people here who are using HDDs on what they get away with.

I have 5 @ 1.3mp cameras on a 5400rpm disk without any problems.
wfsteadman

Post by wfsteadman »

HeneryH wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 6:02 pm The 2tb limit should be only for old 32b machines.

While SSD for the system drive increases performance ALOT, there is less of an improvement for video recording and playback.

I haven't done the math but you might be able to poll people here who are using HDDs on what they get away with.

Thank you Very Much.
MikeBwca

Post by MikeBwca »

If you can do SSD's...

I have two 2-tb SSD's that I use for the BI database.
The performance when reviewing video via the Timeline is amazing. No lag, even when sliding the timeline back and forth (of course cpu goes thru the roof).
HeneryH

Post by HeneryH »

Mercedes AMG are rocket fast too. But $$$$ makes the Kia look better and better.
roadkill401

Post by roadkill401 »

Not wanting to hijack a thread, but i have a similar question with hard drives.

I went out and bought a Lonovo M900 with the intel i5-6600 processor. it came with a non descript 2.5" hard drive inside. Now I don't know how good the hard drive is, or how old it is. I was planning on trying out the Deep AI approach for video triggering so there will be quite a bit of video being recorded constantly. I know that the hard drive inside the unit currently won't live up to the task for very long, so I am planning on buying a 4TB surveillance class Purple WD drive for the computer. However at the computer can only support a single hard drive apparently, I will be pulling the 2.5" drive and replacing it with the WD 3.5

So the question. Would there be any harm or downside to running Blue Iris and the Windows 10 OS off the purple drive? or would it be required to install something like an M2 ssd into the unit as it does support them to house the Windows10 OS and Blue Iris software?
wfsteadman

Post by wfsteadman »

HeneryH wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 6:02 pm The 2tb limit should be only for old 32b machines.

Thanks I was thinking about adding a 2 TB SSD as well
HeneryH

Post by HeneryH »

roadkill401 wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:36 am Not wanting to hijack a thread, but i have a similar question with hard drives.

I went out and bought a Lonovo M900 with the intel i5-6600 processor. it came with a non descript 2.5" hard drive inside. Now I don't know how good the hard drive is, or how old it is. I was planning on trying out the Deep AI approach for video triggering so there will be quite a bit of video being recorded constantly. I know that the hard drive inside the unit currently won't live up to the task for very long, so I am planning on buying a 4TB surveillance class Purple WD drive for the computer. However at the computer can only support a single hard drive apparently, I will be pulling the 2.5" drive and replacing it with the WD 3.5

So the question. Would there be any harm or downside to running Blue Iris and the Windows 10 OS off the purple drive? or would it be required to install something like an M2 ssd into the unit as it does support them to house the Windows10 OS and Blue Iris software?
No harm at all in running the OS from your video drive. But my personal preference, if you could swing the sub-$100 purchase, would be to add a 500gb SSD in the M2 slot for the OS. Your machine will be smooth as silk running on an M2 SSD.
TimG

Post by TimG »

Personally I always try to keep data off of Windows drives, so the M2 for WinOS sounds good to me too.
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.