Blue Iris Software Settings for Demo System

General discussion about Blue Iris
ashima

Blue Iris Software Settings for Demo System

Post by ashima »

Hello,    
   We are System Integrators from Bangalore, India. We need to deploy around 200 IP Cameras. We are in the process of finalising the project.

Current NVRs : HIKVision NVR DS-N632NI-I8

Proposal : We are proposing to replace HikVision NVRs with customised machine with BI. We need to conduct  a POC for the same.

Demo Requirement : We need to demonstrate recording of 6 Cameras  at 1080P for the duration of 1 hr.. The recording has to be submitted in mp4 format.

We have configured a demo machine. I have few questionnaire regarding that :

1) If we buy Licensed Blue Iris for the demo machine, can we use the same for the actual  machine later.

2) BI settings :
a) When I configure the  cameras with BI can I use
      /Streaming/Channels/1 (main stream)
      /Streaming/Channels/2  (substream)
to access the cameras stream.
The camera model is HikVision DS-2DE5225IW-AE.

b) For continuous recording, Alerts and Trigger off.

c) Can I set D2d option. Need to submit the recorings in mp4 format.

d) Set record combine/cut to 1 hour.

e) Disable Overlays in BI.

f) Hardware acceleration off as demo is for just 6 cameras.

g) Run BI as a service with local user with administrative rights

Any more Pointers ?

3) Cameras Settings :

a) H.264 recording for main and sub streams.

b) FPS is set to 25 fps and iframe is also 25 for main and  substream.  
  Is there  anything else that I need to take care of ?

c) Add the user account used by BI in the ONVIF user list with admin privilege.

Any other Suggestions is highly appreciated.

Regards,
Ashima
Pronet Services
Matts1984

Re: Blue Iris Software Settings for Demo System

Post by Matts1984 »

I'm not sure if I can answer all of those but I can do some:

1) If we buy Licensed Blue Iris for the demo machine, can we use the same for the actual machine later.
Yes. The license can only be used on one system at a time but you can deregister it from one and transfer to another

2) BI settings :
a) When I configure the cameras with BI can I use
/Streaming/Channels/1 (main stream)
/Streaming/Channels/2 (substream)
to access the cameras stream.
The camera model is HikVision DS-2DE5225IW-AE.
It sounds right but I don't have any HikVision cameras. When you configure it, check the Blue Iris Status window and you'll know immediately if thats correct.

b) For continuous recording, Alerts and Trigger off.
For your demo you may not need alerts and triggers but they are still options. Your demonstration could include motion zones and some form of alerting (emails, etc). Thats dependent on whatever you're doing

c) Can I set D2d option. Need to submit the recorings in mp4 format.
I save BVRs but I believe thats fine. I know there is an option to convert to mp4 afterwards so that might be another consideration

d) Set record combine/cut to 1 hour.
Yep thats what I do. I just like the small regular blocks

e) Disable Overlays in BI.
I do not use any BI overlays. I have timestamps added directly by my cameras

f) Hardware acceleration off as demo is for just 6 cameras.
I don't think there is a downside to keeping HA but if the CPU is low, guess thats fine

g) Run BI as a service with local user with administrative rights
Perfect, no issue

Any more Pointers ?

3) Cameras Settings :

a) H.264 recording for main and sub streams.
I think thats a good move as it's more CPU friendly than H.265 - which is more network friendly

b) FPS is set to 25 fps and iframe is also 25 for main and substream.
Is there anything else that I need to take care of ?
Those settings are probably higher than necessary but again for a demo, probably fine. That should result in very fluid motion which typically is not a hard requirement for security footage. The only other thing I can think of is VBR vs CBR but the reality of it I don't think that makes any difference

c) Add the user account used by BI in the ONVIF user list with admin privilege.
If the cameras require authentication, yes. For a demo, probably not necessary but still not a bad idea and a potential selling point (security)

Any other Suggestions is highly appreciated.
Blue Iris 5.8.8.x | Server 2022 VM | Xeon X5650 @ 2.67GHz - 12 Cores | 12GB RAM | 7TB RAID | Sophos UTM WAF | 4x SV3C 5MP Bullet A | 1x SV3C 5MP PTZ HX | 1x SV3C 5MP Bullet HX | 1x SV3C 5MP Dome HX | 2x Amcrest 5MP Bullet
ashima

Post by ashima »

Thanks @Matt1984 for the reply.

I am still confused whether I should record in BVR format and later convert to mp4 or record in mp4 format. Does anyone has an experience on time required to convert BVR video to mp4 format. Is there any loss in quality.

I have observed if I enable D2d option along with MP4 recording, I am unable to play the file,even when BI is not writing to file. D2d works only with BVR format.

Any pointers ?

UPDATE : The client is requesting for a demo for 4K resolution cameras instead of 1080p. So is there anything else I need to take care.

Please guide as there will be other vendors pitching with their proprietary software. So its BI vs those proprietary software.
Matts1984

Post by Matts1984 »

I honestly don't have experience myself with MP4s but if thats a client requirement then I understand taking the steps to figure it out. If it were me I'd stick with BVR and then convert when needed (or all if it's a requirement) though I realize that mayy alters storage requirements. You could convert BVRs to MP4 and export for backup and keep a relatively short timeline of active BVRs on the server. Again, it depends on requirements though. For me I like having the BVRs, 3 weeks (in my configuration) of readily available clips from all cameras, and I just don't have a need to have an MP4. Anyways, the rest of your post....

The 4K requirement should be ok and is where substreams will make a MUCH more drastic difference. The system can process and monitor a low quality substream but still record 4k... it would likely kill it to have to process those 4k feeds. The system should handle that just fine as those settings are on the camera side. You may want to apply the Hardware Acceleration as previously discussed though.
Blue Iris 5.8.8.x | Server 2022 VM | Xeon X5650 @ 2.67GHz - 12 Cores | 12GB RAM | 7TB RAID | Sophos UTM WAF | 4x SV3C 5MP Bullet A | 1x SV3C 5MP PTZ HX | 1x SV3C 5MP Bullet HX | 1x SV3C 5MP Dome HX | 2x Amcrest 5MP Bullet
ashima

Post by ashima »

Thanks @Matts1984 for sharing your views.

I would like to share the demo System hardware :

Intel i7-990x Extreme 6C/12T, X58A Board, 16 GB DDR3, ATI Radeon R7 260X-2GB D5

For Recording 5-6 Cameras at 4K Resolution.
I'll be watching the cameras using UI3 from my laptop. It's going to be headless machine. I'll enable substream at 360p resolution just to keep a watch on feed.

Also I just checked I can do D2d even with mp4 format. Ofcourse, I'll be saving in BVI format in actual machine.
Planning to keep Hardware Acceleration off as we will not be watching cameras on console.

Regards,
Ashima
( Pronet Services)
TimG

Post by TimG »

Hi Ashima, please be aware that most of us are home users with maybe ten cameras. I know that BI5 maxes out with 64 cameras, but I think you need to send an email to support to see if they can give you guidance for such a large project.
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.
ashima

Post by ashima »

Thanks everyone for all the support and suggestions.

There is a Urgent Requirement --- with 1 day left for demo.

To add some brownie points  to  BI, we are planning to demonstrate integrating an android mobile along with HikVision cameras. I am using the  Redmi Note 8 Pro with the app "IP Webcam - Pavel Khlebovich" . I am able to integrate the Mobile to BI and get a Live View. I want to save the stream in mp4 format with D2d enabled. BI saves the file but I am unable to play the file. Windows Media player complains "the video was encoded to a format that's not supported". 
I am able to play the file with reencode option but this nearly kills the machine. The mobile is sending 8K resolution stream.

I guess IP WebCam sends the stream in WebM (Vp8) format. Is there any way we can save in this format and use D2d.

Any suggestions?.

Regards,
Ashima
TimG

Post by TimG »

I thought D2D would only work properly with BVR files, but I've not tried it with an MP4 source from an android mobile.

You really are trying things that most of us have not tried - but we would like to know if you get it to work :D

Good luck, and let us know how you get on with the demo.
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.