AI Deepstack cancelled alert - "Occupied"

General discussion about Blue Iris
loopy123

AI Deepstack cancelled alert - "Occupied"

Post by loopy123 »

Is there any way to fine tune the "occupied" cancellation? Keeps happening and makes AI unreliable vs. regular triggers. Just updated BI from 5.4.7.4 to 5.4.7.6 today.

Parked cars are in view, so cancellation is important.... But a person clearly walked across the normal detection path (and got a 90% person detection) which worked well before AI.

jondwalters

Re: AI Deepstack cancelled alert - "Occupied"

Post by jondwalters »

Yeah that seems strange. I don't have an answer other than I would suggest contacting support. That may be a bug.
rjp1267

Post by rjp1267 »

loopy123 wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:49 pm Is there any way to fine tune the "occupied" cancellation? Keeps happening and makes AI unreliable vs. regular triggers. Just updated BI from 5.4.7.4 to 5.4.7.6 today.

Parked cars are in view, so cancellation is important.... But a person clearly walked across the normal detection path (and got a 90% person detection) which worked well before AI.

Did you ever find out what is causing this? I have the same issue and have just started looking for an answer.
loopy123

Post by loopy123 »

Have not figured it out yet. Just had another "occupied" cancellation on a different camera, searched and found my own thread again...
In the BI log all I see is:

Code: Select all

3 	3/17/2022 11:44:25.778 AM	wyze1               	MOTION_AB
0 	3/17/2022 11:44:27.993 AM	wyze1               	DeepStack: person:57% [525,524 598,730] 369ms
3 	3/17/2022 11:44:52.138 AM	doorbell            	MOTION_AB
0 	3/17/2022 11:44:58.093 AM	doorbell            	DeepStack: Alert cancelled [occupied] 1120ms
3 	3/17/2022 11:46:12.544 AM	Drive               	MOTION_AB
0 	3/17/2022 11:46:18.984 AM	Drive               	DeepStack: Alert cancelled [occupied] 297ms
When I replay the trigger through DS I get a 98% person detected on "doorbell", so it is not a detector problem or a DS ability problem.
Looks like there is an error with "doorbell" and "Drive" DeepStack is crashing/hanging with the 1120 ms run time. Strangely, the earlier trigger on "wyze1" worked as expected...
I looked for DeepStack logs, but none appear to be generated anywhere and this is a documented problem with DS:
https://forum.deepstack.cc/search?q=log%20file
https://forum.deepstack.cc/t/deepstack- ... ution/1306
Supposedly, there is a log file: https://docs.deepstack.cc/debugging/ind ... hlight=log
but when I look in C:\Users\USER\AppData\Local\DeepStack\logs there is only old files.
YrbkMgr

Post by YrbkMgr »

Hope you don't mind, but I'm curious about this and have some questions. Why are you using occupied state in the first place? What are you trying to capture and be alerted about? For example, in the loopy123 image:
If he wants to be alerted on people, why does he have occupied state enabled? Are vehicles in the Confirm box of AI? Anything in the Cancel box? Do you want to be alerted when there's a vehicle? Or just the person?

Myself, I don't use occupied state - because as I understand it, it attempts to cancel alerts if detected objects are determined to be in an occupied state. That is, they have not moved since the scene was last analyzed.

As I see it, all of that drives how you configure it. You know... what is the expected outcome kind of thing. In summary, looks like DS is cancelling alerts properly with occupied state enabled. Unless I've misunderstood the issue, which... is just as likely as not.
  • "Whenever I take something apart to fix it and put it back together again, I end up with like six really important looking pieces left over" -Tim Allen
  • If you know what your after, you'll recognize it when you see it.
loopy123

Post by loopy123 »

I have "confirm": "person, car, truck, bicycle, cat, dog", "cancel" is blank, and "mark as vehicle": "car,truck,bus,vehicle" and "Detect/ignore static objects" is On.

So, I am specifically looking for detection of vehicles and people. Without the "Detect/ignore static objects" set to On, every time there is a motion trigger DS finds the parked vehicle and sends an alert, so this has to be on (or vehicle confirm off, which is not what I wanted).

Regardless, this works exactly as expected about 75% of the time, so I suspect the DS python.exe process is having a time-out or some other error that is not passed back to BI. But, there is no way for me to figure this out, that I can find.

In addition, when I re-run the cancelled alert through BI's "Testing/Tuning->Analyze with Deepstack" it successfully finds the objects people, car, etc. - so it is unclear why it was cancelled....
YrbkMgr

Post by YrbkMgr »

Cool, gotcha, that gives a bit more clarity, but we're missing one piece - consider the following line of reasoning.
I have "confirm": "person, car, truck, bicycle, cat, dog", "cancel" is blank, and "mark as vehicle": "car,truck,bus,vehicle" and "Detect/ignore static objects" is On
First thing that stands out to me is... you're asking for a lot of performance with those settings, and depending on your rig and # of cameras, even with a sweet machine, thing better be optimized. Understand, I'm not saying what is, I'm saying how I think about it. Still though that's an impractical number of "to confirm items".

You might already know this but DeepStack AI was integrated into BI to reduce false alerts - that's it. It is a traffic cop that is a "go/no go" switch.
Go -> Confimed -> Qualifies for Alert Actions. No go -> Cancelled -> Not qualified for Alert Actions.
The sequence of events are:
Motion -> Camera trigger -> Record -> DS analysis -> Go / No Go.

The point is that the Confirm box drives what qualifies as a confirmed alert upon which actions may be executed. Do you want an action taken when it recognizes a bicycle? A cat? You need a text letting you know it found those things and should alert you? For me? No. I want to be alerted when there's been a breach - person came to the door, car pulled in the driveway, someone in my yard. I'm not saying you should do that, just that's the mission critical function of a VMS (Blue Iris) for my purposes.

I mean, you can identify stuff all day long, but what events do you need to be notified about? That's the purpose of DS. Here's what I'm using for one of my cameras

Keep in mind none of that affects recording. Camera trigger -> Record. If DS cancels an alert, you still have the clip. When motion triggers the camera recording begins. Now... about Test & Tune and DeepStack Analysis.
In addition, when I re-run the cancelled alert through BI's "Testing/Tuning->Analyze with Deepstack" it successfully finds the objects people, car, etc. - so it is unclear why it was cancelled....
There are two tools to analyze data with DS: Test & Tune and Deepstack tab of the Status window. They deliver different results. This post gives more background on the two -> Canceled Alert with 91% deepstack. And an article in the self help documents -> DeepStack user experience But the net effect is seen in the image below:

Click on the image and note the % confidence between the two - mind you, mine is pretty dialed in, so the numbers are close. T&T plays back recorded video, DS analysis is a log of what happened. You need to enable DS analysis in order to fine tune object detection and confirmation.

Finally,
So, I am specifically looking for detection of vehicles and people

Detection or alert? Do you want a text every time a vehicle triggers the camera? Or just a recording? If you just put people in the Confirm box, you'll get an alert action performed when Motion -> Trigger -> Record -> DS Person detected. Cats and dogs and such can still trigger a recording that you can review. Looking at the camera field of view you posted, personally, I can see the value of getting a text every time a car goes by.

Just tryin' to help...
loopy123

Post by loopy123 »

Thanks for all of the information!

I have tried to limit the scope of the detection to a person and car with ignoring static objects.
I generally have this working well, however, I have found occasions where there seems to be a problem with DS reporting "occupied" when it clearly is not. I suspect there is some kind of timeout with the spawned child process that runs DS, but there is nothing the logs.

If anyone has come across how to get more details about such a potential error/problem, please let me know.

In the meantime, I have found the .DAT files dropped into the "Blue Iris Status"-"DeepStack" tab generated during a trigger as most helpful in figuring out what is happening with DS. This might eventually help me get to the bottom of it.
YrbkMgr

Post by YrbkMgr »

In the meantime, I have found the .DAT files dropped into the "Blue Iris Status"-"DeepStack" tab generated during a trigger as most helpful in figuring out what is happening with DS. This might eventually help me get to the bottom of it.
That's how I figured tings out. Pro tip: Ctrl+Dbl Click launches the clip paused at the triggering event. The yellow boxes in the DS tab let you assess timing - if the box lines up with the trigger object (I turn on motion overlays to see the object rectangle). If they don't match dial in the camera firmware settings, pre-trigger buffer of 5 or more, use mainstream in AI tab of camera, wired/wireless, vary Object Detection mode from Global settings->AI tab.

Out of curiosity, considering your field of view, why do you want an alert when a car goes by? Just curious...