Are there any wired IP doorbell cameras?

General discussion about Blue Iris
Thixotropic

Are there any wired IP doorbell cameras?

Post by Thixotropic »

I'm looking for an ethernet-connected doorbell cam, but every "doorbell" camera I can find is wifi only.

Some have an ethernet connector on the back, but that seems to be for PoE, not a network connection (and you have to use a PoE injector, which they usually supply).

Are there any doorbell cams that use a wired ethernet connection?
Blue Iris 5.x x64 | Windows 10 Pro x64 | 16GB RAM | i7-7700 3.6 GHz | 1TB HDD | 2TB RAID NAS | 9 Cameras | Almost Dual NIC | 2KVA UPS
jasestu

Re: Are there any wired IP doorbell cameras?

Post by jasestu »

I've been looking and waiting for a year to find something that PoE, solid quality and not a horrendous price - and ideally something that sends an ONVIF trigger event or something when the button is pressed so that blue iris/home automation can pick it up.

https://www.reddit.com/r/BlueIris/comme ... scription/

Still seems to be a big hole in the market between the proprietary subscription model stuff and commercial access control targeted at apartment blocks etc. Look up Doorbird to scare yourself with pricing.

I've come close to going for the DS-KB8112-IM, however 720p seems underwhelming and it doesn't really cover enough vertical field of view (for me a doorbell camera needs to cover height, not width).

I'm starting to think I might have to settle for a powered (not battery) wifi model as last time I put in some solid research I think there were some viable options in that space. Or alternatively hunting the PoE cam, home automation friendly doorbell and an intercom as separate components and hacking it together.
TimG

Post by TimG »

I think they all want to trap you into their subscription ecosystems, so they don't want rtsp or Onvif.

I posted a couple of years ago about a message on my neighbourhood forum, where a gang had gone around my area stealing these expensive doorbells. Not one of the people had any video footage of the doorbell being taken. What a joke.

Due to that I think we are better off splitting these things out. I already have my old fashioned doorbell interfaced with Homeseer, but could do with a door peephole camera with a good resolution that connects easily to BI5.
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.
Thixotropic

Post by Thixotropic »

jasestu wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 7:53 am I've come close to going for the DS-KB8112-IM, however 720p seems underwhelming and it doesn't really cover enough vertical field of view (for me a doorbell camera needs to cover height, not width).
I hear you- there's very little out there. I've been thinking of building my own, as there are plenty of tiny IP cameras available:

https://www.amazon.com/Mini-Ip-Camera/s ... +Ip+Camera

Some are 1080p, so not too bad but very few of them have good wide-angle capability. This one looks like it might be a good camera to do a build for:

https://www.amazon.com/Vonnision-Securi ... 07WGNNKZD/

I may just discard my RCA doorbell, replace it with a regular doorbell, and go with a normal mounted camera and a trigger for the doorbell button itself. I have an old missile firing button that I've always wanted to use but never got around to making an enclosure for it. It's a great big red button in a heavy chrome housing and it looks pretty cool.
Blue Iris 5.x x64 | Windows 10 Pro x64 | 16GB RAM | i7-7700 3.6 GHz | 1TB HDD | 2TB RAID NAS | 9 Cameras | Almost Dual NIC | 2KVA UPS
HeneryH

Post by HeneryH »

Thixotropic wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 2:14 pm ...
Some have an ethernet connector on the back, but that seems to be for PoE, not a network connection (and you have to use a PoE injector, which they usually supply).
PoE IS and ethernet connection. It just says that it takes its power over the ethernet line. You can get pretty cheap hubs that supply PoE power.

Something like this https://www.newegg.com/netgear-gs305p-1 ... klink=true
Thixotropic

Post by Thixotropic »

HeneryH wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 2:45 pm PoE IS and ethernet connection. It just says that it takes its power over the ethernet line. You can get pretty cheap hubs that supply PoE power.
I know, the problem is that many of these doorbells that claim PoE as a feature use it only for power and not data. I want a fully-wired connection back to my switch but the only true PoE doorbells I can find are ridiculously expensive.
HeneryH

Post by HeneryH »

Thixotropic wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 3:39 pm
HeneryH wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 2:45 pm PoE IS and ethernet connection. It just says that it takes its power over the ethernet line. You can get pretty cheap hubs that supply PoE power.
I know, the problem is that many of these doorbells that claim PoE as a feature use it only for power and not data. I want a fully-wired connection back to my switch but the only true PoE doorbells I can find are ridiculously expensive.
Ah, I get it. So they lie about PoE. Interesting. Why on earth would anyone design a power over rj45 without internet? Some products make stupid decisions.
Thixotropic

Post by Thixotropic »

HeneryH wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 3:42 pmAh, I get it. So they lie about PoE. Interesting. Why on earth would anyone design a power over rj45 without internet? Some products make stupid decisions.
Exactly. If I had a dollar for every product I clicked on that said "Doorbell camera with PoE" only to find out that it was just for power and not for a network connection, I'd have about a million dollars by now.

It makes no sense- the wifi chip and antenna can't be cheaper than a basic RJ45 network chip, can it?

So yeah, I'm thinking of reverting to just a basic IP camera with a sensitive motion trigger for front door monitoring.
aross01

Post by aross01 »

HI I was also looking for a wired doorbell for years spending money and testing stuff nothing worked for me.
Then a friend asked me with all the stuff you have why do you need a all in one device.

1. You have a camera that will notify you when someone is at your door or anywhere around your house.
2. Because you have 4 doors you already have your home automation that talks to you and announces "Someone is at the south side door"

He looked a me and said why not use your home automation software to make something work.

Light bulb over head, ding ding, smack forehead.

I'm now testing Blue Iris, Home assistant, and ELK M1 Gold alarm system and liking what I see, now I have so many options I don't know what to pick or test first.

What I'm testing now and it seems to work.
When Blue Iris tells me someone is in my yard I get a notification and a pic.
Another notification when someone is on my porch.
and another notification if they ring the door bell.

Then I use Elk M1 Gold alarm systems remote audio to start talking to the person at my door.
I picked this because I already have all this stuff and it works.

Looking for maybe a intercom system that will allow remote access but I can use what I have until I come up with something with a super cool factor.
You know you can use a ring camera without a subscription using live view only it will not save any video but you have Blueiris for your video feed so you can use ring for two way audio on the cheap.

Remember it can be any two way audio device that you can control, as you already have then on camera with Blueiris
TimG

Post by TimG »

I have been looking at car cctv cameras over the last few days to see if any of them were small enough to be used as a door peephole camera. The idea was they could be cylindrical to be pushed into a hole drilled in to a car, and they would be weatherproof. The ones I did find were too bulky, or very low resolution. I don't want to drill a 1" hole in the door, so it looks like there are still no good door cameras in 2021. My i5-3330 can take a composite video input for BI5 as well as IP cameras, but I still can't find anything that looks good enough for the job :(
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.