Question about Windows10 Update 21H1

General discussion about Blue Iris
Thixotropic

Re: Question about Windows10 Update 21H1

Post by Thixotropic » Mon May 31, 2021 2:19 pm

TimG wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 12:01 pmI've used a few of these things over the years, the last one being debloater. I can feel a Win10 re-install coming up this year :?
I've used Debloater and it's pretty good. I'm not sure, but I understand that it won't always prevent things like Cortana from coming back. I can't say for certain yet but since the MSMG tool makes a new install manifest, my understanding is that it's more locked down in terms of updates restoring unwanted stuff. We'll see...

Debloater is good because you can use it after installing Windows and you can re-run it as needed. I think you can script it to do an automated debloat and then task it to run regularly, once a month, or every Sunday or whatever you want.

I going to swap the current spinning HDD with a cheap 1Tb SSD that I just got this morning. It should be an easy transfer but if not then I'll just reinstall the system again on the SSD. Start to finish, the Win 10 + BI + configuration and setup took less than an hour, it'll probably go a little faster with the SSD.

And although this is off-topic a bit, is there a way to force BI to load as a service and then also open the GUI?
Blue Iris 5.x x64 | Windows 10 Pro x64 | 16GB RAM | i7-7700 3.6 GHz | 1TB HDD | 2TB RAID NAS | 9 Cameras | Almost Dual NIC | 2KVA UPS
TimG

Post by TimG » Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:55 pm

And although this is off-topic a bit, is there a way to force BI to load as a service and then also open the GUI?
For my Homeseer set up, I ended up with various sub programs (Node Red/ DeConz/ LogTemp etc) that had to be manually started before Homeseer itself. To get around that, I use an old program called "startup-delayer" from https://www.r2.com.au/page/products/sho ... p-delayer/

I think if you start BI5 as a service, then start it again after 20 seconds with this program, it would do the trick.

The premium version of Startup-delayer is no longer available, but the free version is working fine here.
BI5 v54904 x64 | Win10 21H1 | Dahua IPC-HDW5231R-ZE, Foscam R2, Ertech 4MP, Neos2, 2 SD cams | BI5:1 i5-3330, 16GB Ram, Multiple SSD and HD, Homeseer 2 HSPhone, TVMosaic | BI5:2 Ryzen 1800X, 16GB Ram, Multiple SSD and HD, Homeseer 4, Emby, DVBViewer.
Thixotropic

Post by Thixotropic » Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:18 pm

TimG wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:55 pmFor my Homeseer set up, I ended up with various sub programs (Node Red/ DeConz/ LogTemp etc) that had to be manually started before Homeseer itself. To get around that, I use an old program called "startup-delayer" from https://www.r2.com.au/page/products/sho ... p-delayer/
Cool, I'll give that a try. I've been trying to launch it with a Scheduled Task, either directly or by way of a powershell script but no luck yet. I like to try and make a native solution first, but Startup-Delayer may be just the ticket.

On another note, I swapped out the old BI box HDD to an SSD. I used "Macrium Reflect" (free) to do the original cloning from my spinny-rust HDD to the new SSD. Worked perfectly and only took less than 10 minutes.

After that was done, I set Macrium up so that it would clone the SSD back to the old HDD every Sunday at 2am so I would always have a fully-ready bootable image online. I may change this so it clones every night but I'm not sure if it's needed.

I still do backups, but this way if the SSD dies then I just boot from the old HDD, get a new SSD and clone the HDD to it. Then I'll swap back to booting from the SSD and I'm back where I started, no muss no fuss.

I'm not even sure if backups are truly necessary at this point. I suppose the HDD could fail but I'd find that out then next morning when I see an error message from Macrium saying it couldn't clone to the target drive.
Blue Iris 5.x x64 | Windows 10 Pro x64 | 16GB RAM | i7-7700 3.6 GHz | 1TB HDD | 2TB RAID NAS | 9 Cameras | Almost Dual NIC | 2KVA UPS