Question about Windows10 Update 21H1

General discussion about Blue Iris
TimG

Re: Question about Windows10 Update 21H1

Post by TimG »

And although this is off-topic a bit, is there a way to force BI to load as a service and then also open the GUI?
For my Homeseer set up, I ended up with various sub programs (Node Red/ DeConz/ LogTemp etc) that had to be manually started before Homeseer itself. To get around that, I use an old program called "startup-delayer" from https://www.r2.com.au/page/products/sho ... p-delayer/

I think if you start BI5 as a service, then start it again after 20 seconds with this program, it would do the trick.

The premium version of Startup-delayer is no longer available, but the free version is working fine here.
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.
Thixotropic

Re: Question about Windows10 Update 21H1

Post by Thixotropic »

TimG wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:55 pmFor my Homeseer set up, I ended up with various sub programs (Node Red/ DeConz/ LogTemp etc) that had to be manually started before Homeseer itself. To get around that, I use an old program called "startup-delayer" from https://www.r2.com.au/page/products/sho ... p-delayer/
Cool, I'll give that a try. I've been trying to launch it with a Scheduled Task, either directly or by way of a powershell script but no luck yet. I like to try and make a native solution first, but Startup-Delayer may be just the ticket.

On another note, I swapped out the old BI box HDD to an SSD. I used "Macrium Reflect" (free) to do the original cloning from my spinny-rust HDD to the new SSD. Worked perfectly and only took less than 10 minutes.

After that was done, I set Macrium up so that it would clone the SSD back to the old HDD every Sunday at 2am so I would always have a fully-ready bootable image online. I may change this so it clones every night but I'm not sure if it's needed.

I still do backups, but this way if the SSD dies then I just boot from the old HDD, get a new SSD and clone the HDD to it. Then I'll swap back to booting from the SSD and I'm back where I started, no muss no fuss.

I'm not even sure if backups are truly necessary at this point. I suppose the HDD could fail but I'd find that out then next morning when I see an error message from Macrium saying it couldn't clone to the target drive.
Blue Iris 5.x x64 | Windows 10 Pro x64 | 16GB RAM | i7-7700 3.6 GHz | 1TB HDD | 2TB RAID NAS | 9 Cameras | Almost Dual NIC | 2KVA UPS