Neub with trouble getting Ezviz camera running

General discussion about Blue Iris
Rob

Re: Neub with trouble getting Ezviz camera running

Post by Rob »

I suppose that after more configuring will come security concerns. This thing will be hidden in the TN hills but I'd like to be the only person with access.
What's next?
TimG

Post by TimG »

I can access a camera only when the computer (desktop in this case) is on Wifi and the camera is plugged into the ethernet.

This is true for 2 laptops as well. I don't have BI5 installed on the laptop but can log into the camera from any browser so long as the machine is on wifi. Once any of the computers are on ethernet, the camera becomes inaccesible via BI5, browser IP or regular command line ping. I tried disabling the firewall in case that was the problem and it didn't change anything.

Any ideas?

Also, I'm going to do some more configuring then take the system out to the country and install it.
What app do you like (droid in my case). There were several in the app store.
That doesn't make a lot of sense, which means we are missing something !

1. You really need a good basic understanding of IP addresses, static and DHCP, or this will turn into a nightmare. Take small steps until it becomes clear.
2. Please make a list of what the IP address is for the BI5 pc, the cameras and any other pc you may be using.
3. Do the cameras now have static IP addresses that are NOT in the DHCP window ?
4. Do all pc's other than the BI5 pc have DHCP addresses ?
5. Do the pc IP addresses change when they go from wifi to ethernet ? From what to what ? I am only expecting the last numbers of the IP address to change unless you have some advanced equipment, and if DHCP they should remain within the DHCP window.
6. The BI5 app for android and Ios is the Blue Iris app. There is only one.
7. Security is a whole new learning curve. I advise you to get the cameras working properly first, as that will add layers of complications. I use OpenVpn on my Asus router. Not for the faint hearted.
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.
Rob

Post by Rob »

I think I have enough information to take the system out to the cabin. That router has a slightly different DHCP table but currently no other devices besides what I take in with me ie phone, desktop and perhaps my laptop. I'll give the desktop a static address and the cameras static addresses outside the DHCP table per your instructions.

Thanks for your help. I'll report back.
TimG

Post by TimG »

Good luck :D
Forum Moderator.
MikeBwca

Post by MikeBwca »

Another thing to throw into the mix... (Maybe it's been mentioned)

Does your public IP address change from time-to-time?
This is your IP address from your internet provider. You can check this by opening any internet browser and typing 'What's My IP'.
This IP address WILL change. Either from the ISP, if your router has been powered down long enough, or, if the MAC address of the router has changed (a different router).

I've resolved this my using No-IP... https://www.noip.com/.
- Create an account for a Free DDNS, then create your Free Dynamic DNS.
- Download and install the Dynamic DNS Update Client (DUC) for Windows... https://www.noip.com/download?page=win

Now, you can reference your remote/local locations by using an name like 'Cabin-in-the-woods.ddns.net'. You would use this for the 'Server Name' in the BI phone app.

When your public IP address changes (for whatever reason), the DUN running as a service, will automatically update the new IP address for your account at No-IP.com.

You will need to 'Confirm' No-Ip every 30 days, for the free account.
TimG

Post by TimG »

I think the OP needs to get the system running first.

But the DDNS stuff is right. If you are running an Asus router it may be built in to use xxxx.asuscomm.com and that one doesn't need the 30 day reminder either.
The Asus router may also be able to run OpenVpn - usually very complicated to set up, but a doddle with the Asus with Merlin firmware.
A new world of complication :?
Forum Moderator.
Rob

Post by Rob »

I appreciate the help. This keeps getting put on the back burner but I have the computer and cameras set to static IPs and working. The next thing is to read through the documentation and figure out the phone app. The 1st run guessing at how to populate the app fields didn't work.

More good news is that the cabin neglected for 20 years has new windows, paint, an expanded and newly covered porch and will soon have water.
TimG

Post by TimG »

The 1st run guessing at how to populate the app fields didn't work.
Usually quite simple if the mobile phone is on the wifi for the same LAN that BI5 is on :? Adding the first five and last five digits of your licence should do the trick, then click on "Get IPs". If not:

1. LAN address will be the IP address of the BI5 computer. Added to the end is the port chosen in BI5 Settings/ Web Server/ "Enable the web server on port" = 81 on mine. That gives me a LAN IP address of:

192.168.2.2:81 to be added to the mobile app.

2. WAN address depends if you opened ports or used a vpn. There is a "Remote access wizard" on that BI5 setting page that could help.
3. Username and password is a user that you have set up in BI5 Settings/ Users.
Forum Moderator.
Rob

Post by Rob »

I have access on my phone. It did cut off but I think the computer wend off line. I'll see what happens after tonight.
This computer is very laggy so I may have to buy something with more power. I want to explore the settings some more and learn my way around better.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Trying to get phone access when I'm not on the same network as the BI computer. I let the phone app populate the fields and can connect when on location/

Those same settings have never connected when off site. Sites like whatsmyip all give an IPv6 address. The BI software doesn't hold the v6 address if I manually enter it. BI returns an eor message "Trouble retrieving IP address" when I have BI search for the address.

I'm in Settings>Web server>WAN/Internet access (near the bottom).

When I go to the BI Remote access Wizard
Internet connectivity passes
I can view the cameras via a browser on the BI machine
The next page gives an incorrect router address that can't be edited

I have another demo BI installation on a different machine.
The Remote access Wizard gives correct router and a different external IP address than the other machine but fails the last step of configuration.

Can I conclude that the problem on both machines is with port forwarding? If so, I'll direct my research there.