Neub with trouble getting Ezviz camera running

General discussion about Blue Iris
TimG

Re: Neub with trouble getting Ezviz camera running

Post by TimG »

Hi Rob,

The help file (Press the ? at the top of the BI5 screen and search for IPv6) states that IPv6 WAN addresses will work. Have you read the section "Remote Access Wizard" ? Probably best to do that first before going any further, then you can ask questions if you get stuck.

Random thoughts:

1. I agree, WhatsmyIP is a good way to find your WAN address.
2. What address is BI5 settings/Web Server/ WAN actually showing ? (Don't give us the full address as somebody may try to connect to it). Is it IPv4 or IPv6 ? Does it match WhatsmyIP ? Refresh WhatsmyIP to be sure you are looking at your IP address.
3. The help file states that IPv6 addresses MUST be in square brackets, for example (from the help file):

http://[2604:9108:80e:5223:8877:cc6f:3c6e:be5d]:81

4. Maybe the phone app can only auto populate with ipv4 addresses.
5. For external comms, you do need to sort out port forwarding in your modem router, but as mentioned before it is not a good thing to be opening ports security wise. You basically point your chosen port to the BI5 pc's static IP address, so anything coming in externally on that port will be forwarded to BI5.
6. You can then test if it works by turning off wifi on your mobile phone and starting BI5 using phone data.
7. If it does work, it will fail when your ISP changes your WAN address. Next job !
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Thanks for the help - much appreciated. Lots of learning curve to overcome.

I can now take the system to the cabin and reconfigure it for that router which uses slightly different settings. I'll be able to see any critters deer, bobcat, racoons, skunks and two-legged thieves if they come into the yard.

Security and off site storage are the next steps. I expect that this system is wide open to competent hackers. They'd have to find it on a random internet search because the router is far enough away from any property that isn't mine so anyone close enough to physically find it is either a friend or tresspasser.

Is going to a VPN and closing the open port next? I suppose that I could make the data files upload to dropbox or similar.

Thoughts?
TimG

Post by TimG »

Hi Rob,

Many people will be using open ports, and that is how I started with BI4. Then I noticed in the BI connections log addresses from China (with zero second connections), so I decided to use a VPN to block them and closed the ports. I originally tried installing OpenVPN on the BI pc, and I couldn't get it to work. It's like all of the instructions were written for people that already understood everything about it. Then I replaced my router with an Asus and added the Merlin firmware. OpenVPN was already installed, and was very easy to set up.

The Asus router also handles the dynamic IP WAN address issue. Following their instructions, I set up a site that I can access from anywhere like yourname.asuscomm.com and the router automatically handles any IP WAN address changes. Very simple to use.

To view BI5 when away from home, I start OpenVPN on my mobile phone which connects to whatevernameyouused.asuscomm.com, and then start BI5. I'm basically connected to my home LAN, so I can use BI5, Emby etc.

I think the dynamic IP issue may be your biggest problem as you may not be with the BI5 pc to figure out the changed WAN address after it has changed. One minute you could be remotely viewing your cabin, and the next minute the WAN IP address has changed. If you don't have a static WAN IP, then you do need to get this going. Have a look in the cabin router to see what "DDNS" options you have.
Forum Moderator.
Rob

Post by Rob »

The cameras have been running for days at home without problems. I plan on moving them to the country next week. The router provided by the ISP in the country uses dyndns.com to provide dynamic IP access. Might the ISP have access to the cameras? Of course, "I'm not doing anything to be concerned about>" but that doesn't matter. I don't want to be spied on other than by the myriad of public cameras and the tracking device in my pocket that happens to make phone calls etc.

Is VPN the next step and does that solve the issue?
TimG

Post by TimG »

It does, but it can be quite complex. Can anybody chime in with a simpler security method that is "good enough" ? There must be something you can run on a Raspi by now :!:

Otherwise, just let me put my tin foil hat back on:

1. Your cameras may call back to the mothership at times. They say updates, I say hmm. I run my cameras off a second LAN network card for total isolation from the www. Some people keep them on their normal LAN, but block them from internet access within the router. This will only work with higher end routers. Either way, BI5 is now the ONLY way your cameras can be seen from the external internet, so you are protected by your BI5 password.
2. Trying to set up OpenVPN on your Windows pc may give you brain failure unless they have simplified it since I tried it. Running it on the Asus modem/router with Merlin firmware is quite easy compared to that.
Forum Moderator.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Cameras are working under port forwarding with no-ip.com after getting the ISP to make my IP public. Apparently, they run a proxy server and keep all of the customers IPs private.
My next step is to get the cameras actually mounted instead of recording through a window. I want to go to a VPN at some point but that will also require a learning curve and I'n not sure that I'm completely finished understanding the current process.
TimG

Post by TimG »

Well done Rob :D

Do make sure you have a good back up of the pc's before you make any changes, then you can try anything :!:
Forum Moderator.
Rob

Post by Rob »

I'm currently using the free version no-ip,com to keep the IPs updated. What would cause intermittent no connect when not on the local camera network? We had storms yesterday and I was expecting to find the system shut down or something obvious. The droid phone app connected normally as soon as I was on the same network as the cameras.

I don't have cell service here so I can't test anything but wireless until I leave. The no-ip host name is showing good for another 25 days.
TimG

Post by TimG »

Hi Rob,

I've not suffered from remote intermittant no connects before. Since you could connect when you were close I assume you mean it worked OK on the LAN via wifi. That does point towards the modem/router and external connections.

The obvious answer is to remotely PING the WAN address if the connection fails, but I think this is usually disabled in the modem/router to prevent hackers finding your modem/router.

I just tried isitdownrightnow.com with my own DDNS name and that didn't work.

I've just realised that you said it worked on the LAN. At that time it didn't work through the external internet connection right ? If that is true, did the internet connection work to look at web sites on the internet ?
Forum Moderator.
Rob

Post by Rob »

My connectivity problem was my ISP defaulting my address back to "private" which caused the port to be inaccessible.

Now I'm trying to tweak the camera settings to provide the clearest video stream. This camera Dahua model XYLH-VD-2FS81-S

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B082Y ... UTF8&psc=1

isn't switching on the night vision when it gets dark outside. I'm currently using RTSP protocol with direct to disk writing.

and as my computer friends say, I'm RTFM-ing the BI5 help.pdf. Comments?