Total Cost Of Running Blue Iris

General discussion about Blue Iris
RussellS

Total Cost Of Running Blue Iris

Post by RussellS »

Hi, new member here just after some information before purchasing Blue Iris.

I have been running iSpy for a few years but without the remote connection options which require a subscription. So to access the system remotely I would Teamviewer into the server and access it that way.
Anyway, I am now looking to upgrade the system to provide 'proper' remote access etc. So to attain this I am evaluating Blue Iris along with my existing knowledge of iSpy.

What I want to know and wasn't really clear on the website is what are the ongoing costs of Blue Iris after the initial purchase. Are there further subscription charges for remote access etc. I know there is a separate charge for the mobile app but I'm referring more to subscription charges so I can compare it to iSpy.

Also if anyone has any comments regarding iSpy Vs Blue Iris I would be very interested to hear them.

Thanks
Matts1984

Re: Total Cost Of Running Blue Iris

Post by Matts1984 »

So technically no, after the first initial purchase of Blue Iris, thats all that is needed. The method to enable remote access can vary (multiple options) but none of them have to require a cost (other than standard internet service). There is an annual license renewal required IF you want access to software updates and support. If you buy the initial license (approx $70) you get the first year covered. You can get any and all updates... normally multiple updates per week... and then at the end of the year you can opt to renew for approx $30 or you can let the license lapse. Blue Iris will still work perfectly fine unless you try to get an update beyond your license term but personally for a whole $30 a year for a product I'm very happy with, it's worth it. I spend way more on a tank of gas.

Hope that all makes sense.

Prior to settling on BI I did try multiple NVR platforms, pretty much just the free ones or free-to-try. I honestly can't remember if I tried iSpy but after trying many things, and I consider myself fairly technical, I like the options, capability, and active support with BI. I know others have had different experiences but Ken has been responsive to me and he does put out updates regularly - sometimes just to correct bugs for specific cameras (he did for me).
Blue Iris 5.8.9.x | Server 2022 VM | Xeon E5-2660 v3 @ 2.60GHz - 16 Cores | 24GB RAM | 8TB RAID | Sophos UTM WAF | Mostly various SV3C Cameras
RussellS

Post by RussellS »

Thanks for that, you have pretty much confirmed what I already thought. I totally agree with you about the $30 a year being well worth it.

I'm just evaluating BI as we speak and all looks good except I can't get the PTZ working on some of my cameras whereas they do work in iSpy. I'll open a thread in the Blue Iris 5 forum for help on this.
As long as I can overcome this issue then I think BI will be the winner. Fingers crossed.

Thanks again
Matts1984

Post by Matts1984 »

Good luck! I'm sure whatever the issue is - it can be resolved. I've seen some pretty neat possibilities implemented though none of my cameras are PTZ so I have zero experience in that area myself.
Blue Iris 5.8.9.x | Server 2022 VM | Xeon E5-2660 v3 @ 2.60GHz - 16 Cores | 24GB RAM | 8TB RAID | Sophos UTM WAF | Mostly various SV3C Cameras
HeneryH

Post by HeneryH »

You still get minor releases without a subscription. Just not major release. I don't know how long BI4 was out before the BI5 upgrade came along but it was a long time.
HeneryH

Post by HeneryH »

Oh, and $10 for each license to IOS or Android app if you want the specific app rather than using the web page.
TimG

Post by TimG »

Oh, and $10 for each license to IOS or Android app if you want the specific app rather than using the web page.
RussellS:

1. The android app is for the user, so you can use it on all android devices connected to that Google user account. I can only assume that AOS does the same.
2. The web page is called UI3.
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.
RussellS

Post by RussellS »

Thanks for all the replies, very helpful.

Now I've just got to get my PTZ issues sorted (see thread in Blue Iris 5 forum).
RussellS

Post by RussellS »

Just a quick update.

So after trying just about every possible configuration to get PTZ working on my Tenvis cameras I had pretty much given up and was about to go back to iSpy and purchase the Pro licence when all of a sudden the PTZ just started working. I have no idea why but I'm sure the setting that is working is one that I had already tried umpteen times.

So anyway, PTZ is now working fine and I now have 6 cameras setup (not all have PTZ) with a few more cameras on order. I'm really liking Blue Iris so much that I have now made my decision and purchased it.

I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions for you guys over the coming months but in the mean time thanks for your help in making my decision.