New system setup

Post by Calgaryx »

Hello
I am new here
I planning to build security cameras system in my house

But i am little beat confused

Is there any documentation how to setup Blue Iris

I have questions if someone could help me please

Do I still need NVR recorder in order to setup Blue Iris server?
If I don’t need NVR recorder how do I connect cameras to pc?
Any help I would appreciate.
Thanks
Matts1984

Re: New system setup

Post by Matts1984 »

So there is a relatively large help file included with the BI installer (200+ pages). There is also the new BI YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDkejn ... PfI7l2u64g

There are multiple options that Blue Iris supports but the cleanest and easiest way is to utilize IP cameras, either PoE (recommended) or ones that use WiFi. These cameras work directly with a Blue Iris server with nothing else required other than a switch (potentially a switch that supports PoE if you want it clean and done right). Assuming the Blue Iris server is built with plenty of storage capacity - multiple TBs if possible - no other system is needed. You could use a separate NAS or something but that goes into the other 'options'.

Simply put, you need networked IP cameras and a robust Blue Iris server. Thats it. The brand or model cameras is pretty much up to you, what design you're looking for, the prices you can find, etc. There is no official "recommended" or "Supported" list as most will work. There are posts scattered around on this forum of what experienced users are using and what they prefer.
Blue Iris 5.8.9.x | Server 2022 VM | Xeon E5-2660 v3 @ 2.60GHz - 16 Cores | 24GB RAM | 8TB RAID | Sophos UTM WAF | Mostly various SV3C Cameras
Calgaryx

Post by Calgaryx »

Matts1984 wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:29 pm So there is a relatively large help file included with the BI installer (200+ pages). There is also the new BI YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDkejn ... PfI7l2u64g

There are multiple options that Blue Iris supports but the cleanest and easiest way is to utilize IP cameras, either PoE (recommended) or ones that use WiFi. These cameras work directly with a Blue Iris server with nothing else required other than a switch (potentially a switch that supports PoE if you want it clean and done right). Assuming the Blue Iris server is built with plenty of storage capacity - multiple TBs if possible - no other system is needed. You could use a separate NAS or something but that goes into the other 'options'.

Simply put, you need networked IP cameras and a robust Blue Iris server. Thats it. The brand or model cameras is pretty much up to you, what design you're looking for, the prices you can find, etc. There is no official "recommended" or "Supported" list as most will work. There are posts scattered around on this forum of what experienced users are using and what they prefer.
Great.
Now i have a clear picture.
Thank you very much.
HeneryH

Post by HeneryH »

As Matt said.... Blue Iris IS the NVR.

BI pulls video streams directly from IP cameras.

It is time to sunset the old analog camera model where there is a dedicated hardware box that transcodes all of the analog streams into digital.