Using a tethered phone for Blue Iris network connection

General discussion about Blue Iris
CasaDelGato

Using a tethered phone for Blue Iris network connection

Post by CasaDelGato »

I'm setting up a small Blue Iris system (3 cameras) for a rental house I have that is currently empty.
The only internet connection is via tethering to a cell phone.
The system works fine, sends me single images for motion, etc...

The problem is that I'd like to be able to remote access it to get or view relevant videos.
I know that the IP address is likely to change over time, so I'd need to setup a dyndns configuration.
BUT I did some testing using the current IP Address - and it's impossible to connect. I suspect that TMobile either puts Phone Internet connections on a VPN, or blocks incoming connections.

Any suggestions?
aesterling

Re: Using a tethered phone for Blue Iris network connection

Post by aesterling »

Thoughts on installing something like Chrome Remote Desktop, Anydesk, or TeamViewer to have remote control access to the Blue Iris PC?
Matts1984

Post by Matts1984 »

aesterling wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:50 am Thoughts on installing something like Chrome Remote Desktop, Anydesk, or TeamViewer to have remote control access to the Blue Iris PC?
Something like this might be the next best option, a bit of a hassle especially if you want prompt access, but it would/could ultimately work. I don't know for certain but I suspect your thoughts are correct in that - one way or another - Tmobile is blocking/preventing the inbound connection.
Blue Iris 5.8.9.x | Server 2022 VM | Xeon E5-2660 v3 @ 2.60GHz - 16 Cores | 24GB RAM | 8TB RAID | Sophos UTM WAF | Mostly various SV3C Cameras
CasaDelGato

Post by CasaDelGato »

I'm not sure how a remote desktop app would work - as I want to initiate the connection from my machine to get to the TMobile/computer.
As far as I know, all the remote access programs require the controlled machine to actively ask for remote access.
MikeBwca

Post by MikeBwca »

I switched from TeamViewer to AnyDesk. I've found that AnyDesk uses much less cpu.

AnyDesk runs on a Desktop or Android phone, and can be remotely controlled.
Matts1984

Post by Matts1984 »

I know with Chrome Remote Desktop you have to add the 'App' from within Chrome. When you enable remote connections you establish a PIN. Thats the only configuration on the "remote" computer. Them from the installed 'App' on your controlled machine you select which computer you want to connect to, enter the previously set PIN, and you're in. A screenshot from my controlled system is below... with options to connect to either my Kitchen computer or my Windows Server. Google plays as the intermediary and both systems connect to it automagically. Yes this would lead to SOME outbound traffic from your Tmobile device when not in use, kind of like a beacon for status, but it should be minimal. I can't give you specifics as I'm not currently on a metered connection to measure it. Any of these other equivalents like TeamViewer, AnyDesk, etc are essentially the same. Some form of cloud broker joins the connections so that you can connect without having that direct capability. It absolutely works while you're remote, doesn't require an "authorize" prompt on the remote station, and is pretty simple to set up. It does require that initial setup though.

Another option I hadn't considered previously is ZeroTier. I've looked into it but haven't actually used it. It might take a bit more network understanding but should work essentially the same way (two systems connect through a cloud broker) BUT I'm fairly confident you could get this working directly through the BI mobile app and/or UI3 and not have to do remote desktop. ZeroTier is essentially a minimal effort VPN in which you can connect as if you were on the same network.
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (25.54 KiB) Viewed 3228 times
Blue Iris 5.8.9.x | Server 2022 VM | Xeon E5-2660 v3 @ 2.60GHz - 16 Cores | 24GB RAM | 8TB RAID | Sophos UTM WAF | Mostly various SV3C Cameras