How can I use an old android tablet as a doorcam/ home auto tablet ?

General discussion about Blue Iris
TimG

How can I use an old android tablet as a doorcam/ home auto tablet ?

Post by TimG »

It seems like a good idea. Take an old android tablet, or a cheap fire HD tablet, and use it on the wall next to the front door for doorcam and home automation duties.

Does anybody do this ? I obviously have BI5, and I also have Homeseer 4 running on two computers as well. How to combine these to get a solution with a lot of WAF ?

Thoughts ?
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.
Serodgers

Re: How can I use an old android tablet as a doorcam/ home auto tablet ?

Post by Serodgers »

Like this? HS4 with HSTouch project. BI UI3 in a HSTouch page. Interactive via UI3 can select a camera an also change camera from HS4 events. On event detects doorbell and turns on porch lights and sets my three Ipads to the front door cam.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
TimG

Post by TimG »

Hi,

Thank you for the quick response. I do have HS4 Pro, so I will be able to use HS Touch, but I must admit I thought it had been deprecated since HS support told me to use the new android client with my mobile phone last time I had an issue.

Now is there a way to make a tablet screen go off until you approach it ? If my heating thermostat can do it, it shouldn't be too difficult :?
Forum Moderator.
Thixotropic

Post by Thixotropic »

Maybe just use the webserver on the local LAN to view it (UI3)?

I've used that around the house a few times to help in live-positioning a camera rather than running back and forth to check the position each time I adjust it.
Blue Iris 5.x x64 | Windows 10 Pro x64 | 16GB RAM | i7-7700 3.6 GHz | 1TB HDD | 2TB RAID NAS | 9 Cameras | Almost Dual NIC | 2KVA UPS
Serodgers

Post by Serodgers »

TimG wrote:Hi,

Thank you for the quick response. I do have HS4 Pro, so I will be able to use HS Touch, but I must admit I thought it had been deprecated since HS support told me to use the new android client with my mobile phone last time I had an issue.

Now is there a way to make a tablet screen go off until you approach it ? If my heating thermostat can do it, it shouldn't be too difficult :?
I believe Tasker can do this for Android tablets.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
TimG

Post by TimG »

Thixotropic: Maybe just use the webserver on the local LAN to view it (UI3)?
I'm after a bit more control than that. Imagine walking up to front door wall mounted tablet, and the screen turns on as you get close. It shows the BI5 door cam, and has a few buttons for lights etc. Pretty similar to the screenshots from Serodgers above.
Serodgers: I believe Tasker can do this for Android tablets.
Thanks for that one. Yet another reason for me to purchase Tasker. Steep learning curve initiated :shock:

Clearly it depends on what proximity sensors are available for the particular android device I use, but I have a few phones and tablets of various vintages, so I will find out. I can feel a new project coming on :idea:
Forum Moderator.
TimG

Post by TimG »

As a side project, I have been looking for a door cam for a very long time. Most of them are far too big, far too expensive, or don't work well with BI5.

Todays trial is with an old mobile phone. An android Samsung S5 with a 1080 camera and this app: IP Webcam - Pavel Khlebovich. I now have the video stream in BI5, and can view the recordings. Looks like I will need to sort out a static IP address for the phone, and I will need to set up another Google account so somebody can't just steal it and mess up my normal account. Hmm, how many things can you delete from Android before it stops working...

I think the phone is slim enough to put inside something like a panel with the door number on it, and it will have reasonable weather protection - although my door is recessed so it wouldn't get direct rain on it. Just need 5 volts then.

Let the testing begin :shock:
Forum Moderator.
sailing

Post by sailing »

Look at the Fully Kiosk Browser app. Magic
TimG

Post by TimG »

Thanks for that.

The S5 now has LineageOS 18.1 on it, and has the SIM and memory card removed. No Google account or other identifying info. Just a rather empty cheap old phone with a sideloaded IP Webcam app and a 1080 camera on wifi. And it works in BI5. I'll give it a few days to see if it lets the magic blue smoke out before I start drilling anywhere :?

I feel sure this can be hidden behind something like the house number near the front door. Just need to get 5V to it. I guess I could do an illuminated house number while I'm at it 8-)
Forum Moderator.
TimG

Post by TimG »

After a week of testing, I can tell you that this is a dead end. The S5 got far too hot to the touch being powered up with the camera streaming 24/7. It managed to turn itself off at 06:21 today, so at least it's had a rest.

I may try another app, but I think this won't fly :cry:

On the other hand, if you just need a short term indoor camera with wifi and a ups, then this method might just fill a gap.
Forum Moderator.