Android TV client (Leanback)

General discussion about Blue Iris
TimG

Android TV client (Leanback)

Post by TimG »

How many people here are interested in a proper "Android TV" client for Blue Iris ? No more sideloading the standard android version, and struggling with that.

I have asked Ken if it is possible, and he didn't say no. What I think it needs is to find out how many people would want it if it was available.

Please post below if you are interested in this.

Cheers,

Tim
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.
TimG

Re: Android TV client (Leanback)

Post by TimG »

Hmm, this isn't helping me convince Ken :o

How about, how many of you use a Nvidia Shield for media playback, and wish that BI had a proper client for it ? Or is everybody using UI3 now ?

Does UI3 work on a Nvidia Shield ? I could go that route, but I need to know if it works !
Forum Moderator.
Snow

Post by Snow »

I have a Sony tv, so would use it. Would I use it enough to warrant paying something additional over the regular Android app, probably not. But i also have my blue iris computer hooked up to the tv already.
TimG

Post by TimG »

I have now purchased an Nvidia Shield, and it can do almost everything that I need. The Nexus Players were just too old so it's time for that great Ebay experience for them (4 off). UI3 works nicely in a sideloaded Chrome browser, but I will need to get another blutooth keyboard to work with the shield.

I would still like to see an Android TV version of the BI client though, as it would be so much simpler to use on the big screen. And this is a 110" projector screen :mrgreen:

Now to figure out how to buy four more Nvidia Shields without breaking the bank :lol:
Forum Moderator.
jelli23898

Post by jelli23898 »

I've got a 24x7 video monitor running a cheap $50 android set top box (MXQ PRO 4K TV BOX) and displaying UI3 using Fully as the browser (https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... erov.fully). Works okay for my purpose at the moment.

I do find that this solution means that the video quality isn't as good as I would like and I strongly suspect that once I add a few more cameras it will be difficult to have the monitor display the cameras in the size/order that I want.

I would be happy to pay for an app or contribute towards UI3 dev costs in order to solve those problems. I would prefer that via an updated UI3 (as I use it on more than just this monitor), but a native android client would be fine too as long as it has good efficiency (e.g. equivalent to UI3 on both client and server).
TimG

Post by TimG »

Well I guess I can close this thread now. I decided to try an Amazon 4k fire stick as they were at 50% discount = £25 on Prime day.

Simple logic, I could sell it for more than that if it didn't work.

So, I checked UI3 on the default browser. Nice !
I installed the Emby client - just WOW compared to the Nexus Players. No lag anywhere. HDHomerun quatro works very well. Recordings etc. Wow.
I installed the TVMosaic client. It wouldn't start on the Nexus players - My wife's satellite channels and recordings are coming through clearly at HD.

I actually bought four fire sticks. That cost £100 to kit the other tv's out :lol:

I would still pay for a android TV BI client, but there is no longer any urgency. If it happens, I will buy it.
Forum Moderator.
skywise

Post by skywise »

I would love a TV client of some sort.
I have a ChromeBox in the kitchen hooked to a touchscreen monitor displaying ui3 and it's a great setup, works very well.
But there are no computers in the living room so I have no idea if the dog would like in if I'm in there.
I'd prefer an aTV app myself but I have a shield hooked to the TV as well so that would work too.
At the moment I've side loaded a web browser on the Apple TV but it's very much a kluge and doesn't keep up very well.
TimG

Post by TimG »

I have now sideloaded BI onto two of the firesticks. It works, but not well with the standard remote control. You either need a keyboard (which I don't want in a bedroom), or a Android TV client (Leanback) !

To recap, everything is working now with a Shield, and the 4k Firesticks, but a proper android TV version of BI is something I would pay for immediately !

Over to you Ken :geek:
Forum Moderator.
CBers

Post by CBers »

TimG wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:18 am How many people here are interested in a proper "Android TV" client for Blue Iris ? No more sideloading the standard android version, and struggling with that.
Yes please.
CBers

Post by CBers »

TimG wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:26 pm I installed the Emby client - just WOW compared to the Nexus Players. No lag anywhere. HDHomerun quatro works very well. Recordings etc. Wow.
Nice to see other Emby users out and about :D

Also a multi-Shield owner here.