Raids Failed Help!

General discussion about Blue Iris
sak231

Raids Failed Help!

Post by sak231 »

Hi Happy Friday Night.
So I had 2 x SSDs set up as my primary disk drive, video was recorded on secondary drive. Naturally, one of the ssds fails, the OS became corrupt and copied to both raid disks and I have a way out of date backup.

Question,
I have a SSd installed in the PC as a secondary drive. Is there a way to copy the data from the old drive to the new windows OS? Is there a way to access the old registry? Thanks for the help.
MikeBwca

Re: Raids Failed Help!

Post by MikeBwca »

Are you mirroring? Stripping?

Info is vague, and refers to 2 SSd's, then you say it copied to both!

Are you sure it's not a Windows corruption? How can both SSD's corrupt at the same time?
Boot up windows in recovery and perform a Repair. Or, use MCT and reinstall windows?
sak231

Post by sak231 »

I had had windows on a raid 1 disk, apparently the issue is common with m.2 drives in raid when one disk is failing. Windows will become corrupt and get copied over yielding 2 non starting drives. I already replaced the drives, put the OS on a non raid m.2 and made a ISO backup to another SSD so if it happens again, I can simply change the boot disk.

I was hoping to not have to spend an hour getting cameras to reimport. I did update to v5, which is nice I guess. Thanks for the help.
Thixotropic

Post by Thixotropic »

MikeBwca wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:16 pm Are you mirroring? Stripping?
With only 2 drives I'm guessing he was doing RAID 0 or RAID 1 mirroring.

Since RAID 0 provides no fault tolerance or redundancy, one drive failing will cause the entire array to fail.

RAID 1 also doesn't provide parity, striping, or spanning, but in theory as long as one drive is up the data should be recoverable.
Blue Iris 5.x x64 | Windows 10 Pro x64 | 16GB RAM | i7-7700 3.6 GHz | 1TB HDD | 2TB RAID NAS | 9 Cameras | Almost Dual NIC | 2KVA UPS
jondwalters

Post by jondwalters »

sak231 wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:27 pm I had had windows on a raid 1 disk, apparently the issue is common with m.2 drives in raid when one disk is failing. Windows will become corrupt and get copied over yielding 2 non starting drives. I already replaced the drives, put the OS on a non raid m.2 and made a ISO backup to another SSD so if it happens again, I can simply change the boot disk.

I was hoping to not have to spend an hour getting cameras to reimport. I did update to v5, which is nice I guess. Thanks for the help.
Keep in mind that RAID mirroring doesn't protect against Windows being corrupt and not loading. It protects against a drive failure.
TimG

Post by TimG »

put the OS on a non raid m.2 and made a ISO backup to another SSD so if it happens again, I can simply change the boot disk.
As always, good Windows backups are required, and of course you can export BI5 settings, and even individual camera settings to help when this happens.
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.