New user looking for resources

General discussion about Blue Iris
yourpalfranc

New user looking for resources

Post by yourpalfranc »

Hi, I'm new to BI and moving over from ZoneMinder. Where can I find some resources to get started. I searched all around the BI Website for a manual, but couldn't find one.

Thanks, in advance, for your assistance!!
TimG

Re: New user looking for resources

Post by TimG »

Hi, if you have BI5 installed, the manual can be opened by clicking the question mark at the top of the BI5 screen.
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.
Thixotropic

Post by Thixotropic »

Welcome to the BI forum.

I tested Zoneminder for about a month before deciding it wasn't right for me. It's got a lot of promise but it's a hodge-podge of code and I finally gave up on it. The whole thing really needs to be refactored in php or python.

After testing BI it became clear right away that it was better than Zoneminder. I'm a Linux guy, so it was disappointing to have to drop Zoneminder, but there's really no comparison between them in my opinion.
Blue Iris 5.x x64 | Windows 10 Pro x64 | 16GB RAM | i7-7700 3.6 GHz | 1TB HDD | 2TB RAID NAS | 9 Cameras | Almost Dual NIC | 2KVA UPS
yourpalfranc

Post by yourpalfranc »

TimG wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:03 pm Hi, if you have BI5 installed, the manual can be opened by clicking the question mark at the top of the BI5 screen.
Thank you!! Found it!!
yourpalfranc

Post by yourpalfranc »

Thixotropic wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:27 pm Welcome to the BI forum.

I tested Zoneminder for about a month before deciding it wasn't right for me. It's got a lot of promise but it's a hodge-podge of code and I finally gave up on it. The whole thing really needs to be refactored in php or python.

After testing BI it became clear right away that it was better than Zoneminder. I'm a Linux guy, so it was disappointing to have to drop Zoneminder, but there's really no comparison between them in my opinion.
I agree 100%!! I found BI through some folks I follow associated with the Home Assistant home automation product. Virtually everyone was using BI, and I certainly don't mind paying for quality software. However, like you, I love Linux and I'm disappointed when products don't offer a Linux option. I feel like I'm being held hostage to be required to maintain Windows subscriptions when there's absolutely nothing to be gained from it, and you're exposed to such a mess of updates. Especially, when they're already offering a mac product?? A Linux product can't be that much more work?? In any case, I do wish BI would offer a Linux solution. It would just make it that much better!! Thanks for your post, and be well.
atreyu

Post by atreyu »

I feel exactly the same Thixotropic. Although our daily computers are Windows, all of my services have been Linux. MythTV for over a decade which has been replaced with Emby, PI-Aware capturing airplane signals, Subsonic for music, Pi-hole for DNS filtering, Ubiquiti UniFi for wireless management, PFSense for router, HomeAssisstant, Samba for file sharing and backup, and I’m sure a few other always on services that I can’t remember. So yeah, having to give up on ZoneMinder was tough.

The second isn’t pulling up right now, I remember liking these setup guides (first two links for searching “Blue Iris Optimization”)
https://ipcamtalk.com/wiki/optimizing-b ... cpu-usage/
https://www.jesseweb.com/security/optimizing-blue-iris/

They cover both PC, BI, and camera setting suggestions.

After that, it’s up to really what you’re trying to accomplish.

Good luck!
Thixotropic

Post by Thixotropic »

yourpalfranc wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:25 pm A Linux product can't be that much more work?? In any case, I do wish BI would offer a Linux solution. It would just make it that much better!! Thanks for your post, and be well.
It probably would be quite a bit of work, to be fair. Although, with that said, I'd happily pay full price for BI again if it was was offered in a Linux flavor.
Blue Iris 5.x x64 | Windows 10 Pro x64 | 16GB RAM | i7-7700 3.6 GHz | 1TB HDD | 2TB RAID NAS | 9 Cameras | Almost Dual NIC | 2KVA UPS
Matts1984

Post by Matts1984 »

Ken has stated that he's a Windows Developer so I think thats the main reason. He'd have to hire someone to port and then be responsible for two variations and that might just be more than he wants to take on. It would be a nice option for sure, but would probably just be more of a heartache for him than help... and raise costs. Sure there are plenty that wouldn't mind but also I'm sure a LOT that would complain about paying more for support and receive the same product (not taking into account having more options)
Blue Iris 5.8.9.x | Server 2022 VM | Xeon E5-2660 v3 @ 2.60GHz - 16 Cores | 24GB RAM | 8TB RAID | Sophos UTM WAF | Mostly various SV3C Cameras