WIFI Questions

General discussion about Blue Iris
ficklefinn

WIFI Questions

Post by ficklefinn »

I have BI 4 and using foscam cameras. I have a dedicated laptop and my network has a Motorola modem and 2 wifi extenders attached.
Most of my cameras are on the linksys extender, but I have some on the netgear extender.
My iphone 11 has the foscam app and I can see my cameras just fine (sometimes some come and go even if on wifi)
Question:
It seems my laptop will only see cameras using the wifi from the linksys extender. When I attach my laptop to any other modem or wifi extender BI won't let me see any cameras.
I can change the cameras to another modem or extender and they work fine in the foscam app, but BI will still only let me see it on the linksys extender.
Any help is appreciated!!
Mike
TimG

Re: WIFI Questions

Post by TimG »

This all sounds a bit complicated, and it's BI4 too.

Time to simplify:

1. Do you have three different wifi text address names (SSID's) on the SAME home network?
2. Do they combine into one SSID, or do you have three ?
3. Is BI4 on the laptop that you are moving between the three different wifi SSID's, or on a static desktop ?
4. Can your laptop access the internet from all three wifi SSID's ?

It sounds very much like a network issue blocking comms, but it isn't clear how everything is connected together.
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.
Matts1984

Post by Matts1984 »

I agree with Tim, this sounds like network blocking, SSID's not crossing, etc. Hodge podging extenders is not the same as a true mesh network.
Blue Iris 5.8.9.x | Server 2022 VM | Xeon E5-2660 v3 @ 2.60GHz - 16 Cores | 24GB RAM | 8TB RAID | Sophos UTM WAF | Mostly various SV3C Cameras
atreyu

Post by atreyu »

My and my wife’s happiness increased dramatically when I upgraded to a mesh WiFi network. Now the WiFi “just works.”

Ubiquiti UniFi if you’re looking for a suggestion. But skip the router/gateway and use PFSense if you want fine control and to not put all your eggs in one basket.