Motion Zones- Masking Yellow Box Size

General discussion about Blue Iris
Bosty

Motion Zones- Masking Yellow Box Size

Post by Bosty »

I cannot find this information out anywhere or my search skills need serious help...

When configuring motion zones, you mask the area yellow. What determines the size of those little yellow boxes? I have 2 cameras, set exactly the same (resolution, image size, etc) but one has little yellow boxes and the other has boxes that are 4 times larger so I can't get a detailed mask out of it.

Thixotropic

Re: Motion Zones- Masking Yellow Box Size

Post by Thixotropic »

Hmmm, that's a good question.

I don't see any control for the box size (there is "brush size" but that's not it) so I'm wondering if it varies according to the resolution or image size maybe.
Blue Iris 5.x x64 | Windows 10 Pro x64 | 16GB RAM | i7-7700 3.6 GHz | 1TB HDD | 2TB RAID NAS | 9 Cameras | Almost Dual NIC | 2KVA UPS
jhankins

Post by jhankins »

If you have "High Definition" checked on the "Motion Sensor" dialog for the camera, the grid is finer in the "Edit" dialog for "Use zones and hot spot". Relevant excerpts from the help file:
By default, to save CPU and smooth-out noise, the image is reduced by considering it in
blocks. The High definition option actually increases the number of motion detection blocks
that are used by typically 4x.
The Copy and Paste buttons exist to give you the ability to take the zone map for one
camera or one profile and apply it to another. The target camera and profile must have the
same resolution and setting for the “high definition” box on the motion sensor page.
MikeBwca

Post by MikeBwca »

The size of the boxes your referring too, are called 'Motion detection blocks'.

Select the cameras settings. Then, Trigger tab / Motion Sensor Configure.

By default, the larger blocks are used.

In the 'Motion Sensor' window, checking 'High Definition' will use the smaller motion blocks, which increases the detection samples by 4 times. This can give you finer motion detection - at a slight increase of CPU.
Thixotropic

Post by Thixotropic »

You are the man, MikeBwca, lol.

I never knew that was there...is this something recent? I confess I haven't looked at any of those dialog boxes in ages.

MikeBwca wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:59 pm In the 'Motion Sensor' window, checking 'High Definition' will use the smaller motion blocks, which increases the detection samples by 4 times. This can give you finer motion detection - at a slight increase of CPU.
Blue Iris 5.x x64 | Windows 10 Pro x64 | 16GB RAM | i7-7700 3.6 GHz | 1TB HDD | 2TB RAID NAS | 9 Cameras | Almost Dual NIC | 2KVA UPS
TimG

Post by TimG »

Hi Bosty,

In case you didn't find it, the BI5 help file is always a good source of info - click the ? at the top of the BI5 screen to open it.
Thixotropic: I never knew that was there...is this something recent? I confess I haven't looked at any of those dialog boxes in ages.
LOL ! It's been there for a long time. BI5 keeps changing, and we can get left behind if we don't click every button :(

I think we need to ask Ken to have a sticky thread here at **The Official Blue Iris Forum** to discuss the latest BI5 updates. I see bullet points as I update BI5, but what exactly do they do, and how can I best use them ?

Happy New Year to all :D
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.
MikeBwca

Post by MikeBwca »

Not really sure when it was added. It's been there as long as I can remember.

The BI Help has a section not far from the top called 'Update Notes', which lists the main changes.
Bosty

Post by Bosty »

That solved it, thanks @MikeBwca.
Thixotropic

Post by Thixotropic »

TimG wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:45 am LOL ! It's been there for a long time. BI5 keeps changing, and we can get left behind if we don't click every button :(

Geez, I must be blind. I never noticed that, lol.

I'm going back to bed until next year. Cheers.
ctfjr

Post by ctfjr »

Thank you everyone for this thread! Solved a problem I had :)