borntworide

Re: Compressing files

Post by borntworide »

bi4.JPG
bi4.JPG (68.46 KiB) Viewed 4702 times
HeneryH

Post by HeneryH »

Not even sure where this conversation started but you will surely spark discussion about how 30 fps is way too high for anything other than trying to catch magician card thieves in Vegas.

But with these numbers and a simple Excel sheet you can calculate the storage required for any given number of days.
Matts1984

Post by Matts1984 »

HeneryH wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:45 pm Not even sure where this conversation started but you will surely spark discussion about how 30 fps is way too high for anything other than trying to catch magician card thieves in Vegas.

But with these numbers and a simple Excel sheet you can calculate the storage required for any given number of days.
+1 Cutting 30 FPS to 15 on each camera immediately halves the storage required and I don't think you'd actually see that much of a difference in the image (but as a side benefit, should result in large CPU gains)
Blue Iris 5.8.9.x | Server 2022 VM | Xeon E5-2660 v3 @ 2.60GHz - 16 Cores | 24GB RAM | 8TB RAID | Sophos UTM WAF | Mostly various SV3C Cameras
borntworide

Post by borntworide »

Thank you !! should i set them at the camera or in BI?
HeneryH

Post by HeneryH »

In the camera.
borntworide

Post by borntworide »

I set all the mainstream to 15 , do i need to worry about sub-stream?
HeneryH

Post by HeneryH »

only if you use the substream.
Matts1984

Post by Matts1984 »

borntworide wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:49 pm I set all the mainstream to 15 , do i need to worry about sub-stream?
It doesn't look like you're currently using sub-streams. I'm not aware of many instances in which sub-streams were not ideal, they're quite recommended and can go to further significantly help CPU usage. I'm not sure how you're doing in that department. I believe I have read a couple community members not use/want them but I definitely do. In a nutshell, if using substreams - BI does it's processing and monitoring on the lower res sub-stream which is still more than sufficient for most real world applications. Videos are still recorded at main-stream quality and viewing in the console - depends. If you just have the screen up (console or UI3) it will use the substreams, which I think you will notice that unless you're using an insanely largely and high quality monitor... is still pretty good. Selecting a stream or making it full screen will automatically switch over to the mainstream in a second or so. All this doesn't really help out storage, and slightly increases load on the network (more streams but overall, the sub doesn't add that much) but can dramatically improve CPU usage.

I'd recommend getting everything else to a good state and then try adding it to one camera at a time. Sometimes figuring out the path configuration for the substream is a challenge for some of the knock-off cameras out there but overall it's very simple.
Blue Iris 5.8.9.x | Server 2022 VM | Xeon E5-2660 v3 @ 2.60GHz - 16 Cores | 24GB RAM | 8TB RAID | Sophos UTM WAF | Mostly various SV3C Cameras