General discussion about Blue Iris
HeneryH

Re: Privacy and Security Issues with Blue Iris Question

Post by HeneryH »

Some people just like to 𝔹itch.
Idle0095

Post by Idle0095 »

I hat your not getting is my dahua NVR is racked mounted in a rack with a lock. Everything is on battery. So they can take my power meter. I’ll still have full battery for 6 hours. They can break in and see the cameras on the screen. They can’t do anything. NVR is locked with username and password.
Now blue iris is locked in same rack on battery. But on the screen of the break in could find the mouse they have full access. I just would like to see a lock section on blue iris. But then again windows could be shut down regardless.
Idle0095

Post by Idle0095 »

I hat your not getting is my dahua NVR is racked mounted in a rack with a lock. Everything is on battery. So they can take my power meter. I’ll still have full battery for 6 hours. They can break in and see the cameras on the screen. They can’t do anything. NVR is locked with username and password.
Now blue iris is locked in same rack on battery. But on the screen of the break in could find the mouse they have full access. I just would like to see a lock section on blue iris. But then again windows could be shut down regardless.
Matts1984

Post by Matts1984 »

It wasn't that I'm not getting it..... you didn't say that. Ok so Blue Iris is physically locked/secured and on battery backup. The operating system should be locked and secured with credentials, so that is addressed.

You want to view the feeds in a separate location - use a different system (Windows PC, Linux system, Mac, Chromebox, Raspberry Pi, whatever) that connects to your server using UI3 and a username/password without Admin privilege. You can't do anything to the server - including shut it down.
Blue Iris 5.8.9.x | Server 2022 VM | Xeon E5-2660 v3 @ 2.60GHz - 16 Cores | 24GB RAM | 8TB RAID | Sophos UTM WAF | Mostly various SV3C Cameras
Thixotropic

Post by Thixotropic »

Idle0095 wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:42 pmSo it’s secure. Blue iris is not. Anyone with a mouse can access everything.
Just press CTRL-L and lock the PC. Done. No one can get to anything. Problem solved.

If you want to still view the screen but disable the mouse and keyboard, this might work:

https://www.e-motional.com/TScreenLock.htm Not free, unfortunately.

Also this one, which is free: https://github.com/wmhilton/lock-screen/releases

It "it blocks mouse clicks and keyboard events until you kill the screensaver with the keyboard shortcut"

On my system they could get to the PC itself (which is password protected), but the video is offloaded to a hidden NAS and then shuffled off to some cheap cloud storage. Yes, they could steal the PC and theoretically the NAS (if they could ever find it), but the footage is safe.
Blue Iris 5.x x64 | Windows 10 Pro x64 | 16GB RAM | i7-7700 3.6 GHz | 1TB HDD | 2TB RAID NAS | 9 Cameras | Almost Dual NIC | 2KVA UPS
SolarEclipse

Post by SolarEclipse »

Idle0095 wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:09 pm How about someone that breaks in. They can access the whole system.
Seems like if someone has broken into your house, them accessing your video cameras should be the least of your worries. Just saying.
Matts1984

Post by Matts1984 »

SolarEclipse wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:54 pm Seems like if someone has broken into your house, them accessing your video cameras should be the least of your worries. Just saying.
Where's the 'thumbs up' or 'Like' button?
Blue Iris 5.8.9.x | Server 2022 VM | Xeon E5-2660 v3 @ 2.60GHz - 16 Cores | 24GB RAM | 8TB RAID | Sophos UTM WAF | Mostly various SV3C Cameras
Thixotropic

Post by Thixotropic »

I think I kind of understand (maybe). There are times I'd like to lock my BI PC but still be able to see what's on screen, view the cameras, etc. I think that's the goal here unless I've misunderstood.

I think the concern is that if someone broke in they could access the PC and delete the video of them breaking in, so he wants to have the PC locked from tampering but have the screen still viewable.
Blue Iris 5.x x64 | Windows 10 Pro x64 | 16GB RAM | i7-7700 3.6 GHz | 1TB HDD | 2TB RAID NAS | 9 Cameras | Almost Dual NIC | 2KVA UPS
HeneryH

Post by HeneryH »

That is a Windows "missing feature" and not a BI problem.
SolarEclipse

Post by SolarEclipse »

Thixotropic wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:12 pm I think the concern is that if someone broke in they could access the PC and delete the video of them breaking in, so he wants to have the PC locked from tampering but have the screen still viewable.
That's what hoodies and masks are for.

In my community, if I was to provide law enforcement with a crystal clear picture of a burglar they would do nothing. Unless they see it happening themselves they won't touch it.
In the early days of COVID they (the City government) also announced they would no longer answer to 911 calls unless someone's life was in danger.
Burglary, nope.
Car theft, nope.
Bike theft, nope.
Vandalism, nope.
etc., nope, nope, nope.
We are on our own in my town.