Hi all - new to BI

General discussion about Blue Iris
yonnysmith

Hi all - new to BI

Post by yonnysmith »

HI all,

Just into my 4th day of trying out BI. So far very happy.
Exhausted all other options - motioneye/ipsy/motion/zoneminder/frigate etc.
I use homeassistant also so have mqtt integrated with nodered etc.

Having a cheap and cheerful dahua nvr for constant recording of my cctv I wanted much better motion and object detection.

Now I have BI running as a service on a i7 7700 32GB dell. Homeassistant is on a mini pc 4GB with small ssd (this was not suitable for any image processing).

I have used the fork of the AI tool for processing. Also deepstack as a container on my homeassistant mini pc with ubuntu.
AI tool is running as a service also.
Just restarted my dell and all services started well. Can assess via web also. (using nginx proxy/dns name on the ubuntu so no open ports on the gateway).

At first I was using the standard motion detection on BI but our garden had so many light changes and other movements I needed more control of object detection only.

2nd day into using AI but I'm finding detection is not very good at nighttime so far. BI standard motion detection is good at nightime but too sensitive during the daytime.

Most probably I'll cough up the 70 bucks. Tried so many of the free source options but too many late nights and head scratching moments. (not good for family life either!!)

Thanks
TimG

Re: Hi all - new to BI

Post by TimG »

Hi yonnysmith,

It's now the end of December - How did your testing go ? There have been other threads mentioning the performance of the AI detection dropping off at night, so there may be solutions or user testing going on to try to improve it. I suggest opening a new thread with it in the title so you can attract the attention of the other AI users.

Tim
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.
yonnysmith

Post by yonnysmith »

TimG wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:06 pm Hi yonnysmith,

It's now the end of December - How did your testing go ? There have been other threads mentioning the performance of the AI detection dropping off at night, so there may be solutions or user testing going on to try to improve it. I suggest opening a new thread with it in the title so you can attract the attention of the other AI users.

Tim
Going well thanks. Purchased BI and am now busy playing with deepstack options and AI tool settings and options.
Using the vorloncd fork AI tool and even trying custom models (python train with labelling) for night time detections.
Have different profiles for the cams at night, dusk and daytime.

Managed to access the advanced settings of the cams (ezviz) and increased the contrast for nightime and added an extra lamp around the darkest areas to assist the IR.

The sun here in Uruguay (summer now) is super string so the shadows from trees etc make the AI tool work extra hard. Luckily I have an i7 with 32GB ram which handles all the snapshots well and fast. deepstack on docker for windows at the moment.

Thanks
atreyu

Post by atreyu »

This VorlonCD fork looks neat. I had found one by danecreekphotography to get the MQTT communication which the original was severely lacking. Also makes the messaging to Home Assistant much cleaner. I wanted to do some NodeRed logic in HA before deciding to trigger a camera recording in addition to the AI detection.

I run HA in a VirtualBox VM, Windows Docker for DeepStack and the AITool, and BI without issue all on an i7-6700 24GB ram and it runs all of that with around 20% CPU and 10GB for 5 cameras.

I’ll have to check out VorlonCD. Thanks!