Paid Version Turned Into Eval -- oopsie

General discussion about Blue Iris
IPCamMan

Paid Version Turned Into Eval -- oopsie

Post by IPCamMan »

Hi everyone,
new user to Blue Iris. Coming from Hikvision's IVMS, it's amazing.

Here's what I did.... my son was so excited to see the software on my computer, I thought it would be OK to let him install it on his computer,
and gave him my registration code. Seeing we are in the same house, I thought if I turned my computer off,
and he tried it out it on his computer it would be OK. I went to bed, ( my computer was off ) and my son is a night owl, and he had been playing
with the software when I went to bed.

This morning I wake up, turn on the computer, and when I opened Blue Iris, it tells me I'm running an evaluation version. Oh oh !
So I looked up my code, input it and now it's running fine. ( paid version once again )

I'm guessing that even though my computer was off, and we are in the same house, you aren't allowed doing this.

My question, did I put my key code at risk by having my son install the software and input that key on his computer ?
( note - my computer was off while he played with the software )

I just want to be honest with what I did, and don't want to get in trouble with Blue Irish and my key. I wonder if anyone has done this.
Let's say you have 2 computers, and want to use the BI software from time to time on a different computer while the other is off etc...
Anyway, just thought I would put my story and question out there,
Thanks very much for your time.
louyo

Re: Paid Version Turned Into Eval -- oopsie

Post by louyo »

If you go into settings, there is an option to deactivate. So, if necessary, you can do so in your son's machine.
TimG

Re: Paid Version Turned Into Eval -- oopsie

Post by TimG »

I agree that using rdp, or Splashtop/ Teamviewer etc would be the easy way for your son to look at BI5. There is also the demo mode, which would have allowed him a look around on his own pc.
I normally use UI3 to view my server from elsewhere, and only use Splashtop to change settings. I don't think you will have damaged anything by having this licence issue, but it's not wise to keep swapping the licence around - you may hit a limit of how many pc changes a month you can do. This would require an email to support to ask for a reset.
You can also purchase a second licence for your son. He would then be able to set up another set of cameras, as well as use the BI5 remote management functionality with your existing system.
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.