Useful article - how to turn your Windows PC into a time server

General discussion about Blue Iris
aukipc

Useful article - how to turn your Windows PC into a time server

Post by aukipc »

I've recently put my system online for the first time and as part of the I've VLAN'd all my cameras and set up a dual-NIC interface on my BI computer so my CCTV LAN is completely isolated from the web and my general LAN.

As I'm also doing Direct-to-Disc recording, this meant I had the issue of somehow needing to sync all my camera's time and date overlays to make a coherent and police-evidential standard system.

To do this, I used this article: https://www.interfacett.com/blogs/creat ... r-windows/ to set up the local NTP server on my PC, and pointed all my camera's to the PC (they were already for recording purposes, but I had to set this separately for NTP).

The result is each camera now is set to sync with the BI computer I have hourly, and the computer syncs it's own internal clock (which the local NTP server derives it's own time from) with the internet, but maintains that segregation between the CCTV LAN and the internet.

So it sort of works like this:

CCTV > SWITCH > VLAN1 > LAN NIC > PC (NTP) < WAN NIC < VLAN2 < SWITCH < WAN < time.windows.com

Perfect sync across all cameras without the exposure of the cameras to the internet!
YrbkMgr

Re: Useful article - how to turn your Windows PC into a time server

Post by YrbkMgr »

This is a righteous find! Thanks for posting it.
  • "Whenever I take something apart to fix it and put it back together again, I end up with like six really important looking pieces left over" -Tim Allen
  • If you know what your after, you'll recognize it when you see it.
aukipc

Re: Useful article - how to turn your Windows PC into a time server

Post by aukipc »

YrbkMgr wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 2:03 am This is a righteous find! Thanks for posting it.
Glad it's of interest, it really helped me make my system that little bit more neat and tidy!