This Forum

General discussion about Blue Iris
LOOPYLOOP

Re: This Forum

Post by LOOPYLOOP »

i have just rejoined the dark side, only lasted about a week last time, and never did get a reasonable answer to my questions.
wonder how long it will last this time! and if i get an actual answer
only rejoined to ask a few questions i have had no luck with here so if i get a decent sensible answer i will update
my questions in case anyone else needs to know.
Thixotropic

Post by Thixotropic »

LOOPYLOOP wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:28 pmi have just rejoined the dark side, only lasted about a week last time
LOL, I've had a submarine account there for months and I post occasionally. They're completely in the dark and have no idea who I am.
Blue Iris 5.x x64 | Windows 10 Pro x64 | 16GB RAM | i7-7700 3.6 GHz | 1TB HDD | 2TB RAID NAS | 9 Cameras | Almost Dual NIC | 2KVA UPS
HeneryH

Post by HeneryH »

sparkzter wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:28 am The admin here or there? the admin here seems to be distinctly absent!
Yes, the admin here is absent. Ken has not delegated that authority to any users here yet.

The admin/owner of the other site is (as he has the right to be) a mad dictator. He knows his stuff, but god forbid you say something he disagrees with.

He has ZERO tolerance for any discussion of
  • Running BI in a VM
  • Anyone who prefers Linux
  • Using anything other than a business class Dell/HP with an Intel processor
  • Certain camera vendors
  • etc
  • I could probably go on forever
  • Liberals :-)
Matts1984

Post by Matts1984 »

Oh maybe I need to make an account, I definitely use a VM for my windows instance.
Blue Iris 5.8.9.x | Server 2022 VM | Xeon E5-2660 v3 @ 2.60GHz - 16 Cores | 24GB RAM | 8TB RAID | Sophos UTM WAF | Mostly various SV3C Cameras
sparkzter

Post by sparkzter »

HeneryH wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:27 pm
sparkzter wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:28 am The admin here or there? the admin here seems to be distinctly absent!
Yes, the admin here is absent. Ken has not delegated that authority to any users here yet.

The admin/owner of the other site is (as he has the right to be) a mad dictator. He knows his stuff, but god forbid you say something he disagrees with.

He has ZERO tolerance for any discussion of
  • Running BI in a VM
  • Anyone who prefers Linux
  • Using anything other than a business class Dell/HP with an Intel processor
  • Certain camera vendors
  • etc
  • I could probably go on forever
  • Liberals :-)
Ohhh...i run blue iris in a VM, have another VM with Ubuntu on (that i use mainly for Home Assistant), i do have an ex Corp Dell rack server tho..so maybe that will ingratiate me?
HeneryH

Post by HeneryH »

sparkzter wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:16 pm Ohhh...i run blue iris in a VM, have another VM with Ubuntu on (that i use mainly for Home Assistant), i do have an ex Corp Dell rack server tho..so maybe that will ingratiate me?
Go post your system design and ask for opinions. When you are told it is terrible, try to convince them of your reasons.

And make sure to add in that you really wish BI made a Linux version because Linux is more stable and secure than Windows.
MikeBwca

Post by MikeBwca »

sparkzter wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:28 am
MikeBwca wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:03 am The other site was started a long time ago. It's a good site with lots of good information. Tread lightly. If you ruffle feathers, the admin has a way of bringing the hammer down on anyone he disagrees with, or, has an opinion other than his.
The admin here or there? the admin here seems to be distinctly absent!
The 'Other' forum website.