App and UI3 alerts slow to load after HDD swap

General discussion about Blue Iris
Tocheeba

App and UI3 alerts slow to load after HDD swap

Post by Tocheeba »

I've had BI4 and BI5 on a WD black 10k rpm hdd for a long time. Loading things were always instant. App would come right up, ui3 would load no issue. I ended up putting in an 8tb WD purple drive, meant for NVRs. Now, loading the app can take 30 seconds (just spins the loading icon - and I have my first screen set to go to camera view, not alerts). And loading the web interface alerts, can take the same. It seems that after it is loaded, on any device, it's fast on them all. It's almost as if the hard drive is asleep and is spinning up waiting to access the info. However, it's not. I have seven cameras total, and two of them are recording 24/7, with all power settings as far as I can tell to never shut the drive down.

Any ideas? My wife is getting really angry at the mobile app..
As am I, but she has less patience for it.

Thanks!
TimG

Re: App and UI3 alerts slow to load after HDD swap

Post by TimG »

The obvious conclusion is that the new drive is much slower. I use a small SSD just for the NEW folder and the BI5 database, and a WD Purple for the Stored folder. That works well here.
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.
Matts1984

Post by Matts1984 »

I believe TimG has the answer. If the only thing that changed was the drive (and based on what I've read, your Purple is probably 5400 RPM and lower transfer rate), the the drive is the issue - not that there's anything wrong with it for NVR storage. BI5 does allow for subsequent different storage locations/mediums for lower priority clips. Is there anything wrong with your Black drive (if not, you've probably already repurposed it, lol)? Your best bet might be to do what was suggested and break it out further, even if you have to buy one single new drive (FAST). Your money on the Purple is not wasted.
Blue Iris 5.8.9.x | Server 2022 VM | Xeon E5-2660 v3 @ 2.60GHz - 16 Cores | 24GB RAM | 8TB RAID | Sophos UTM WAF | Mostly various SV3C Cameras
Thixotropic

Post by Thixotropic »

TimG wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 6:07 pm The obvious conclusion is that the new drive is much slower.
Yep. If the only thing that was changed was the drive....it's probably the drive.
Blue Iris 5.x x64 | Windows 10 Pro x64 | 16GB RAM | i7-7700 3.6 GHz | 1TB HDD | 2TB RAID NAS | 9 Cameras | Almost Dual NIC | 2KVA UPS
Tocheeba

Post by Tocheeba »

Thanks - I'm assuming it was the drop from 10k to 5400rpm. I got the 8TB purple because it was free :) but the 1TB black I just assumed was overkill on speed - guess not. UI3 loads instantly, but when I hit "alerts", it loads up the side thumbnails after like 30+ seconds. Is this what is "new"? I can try throwing another fast drive in - what do you guys use? SSD? 10k? 7200? Would just throwing the "new" folder onto a faster drive most likely solve this?
TimG

Post by TimG »

Free ? Hopefully it wasn't removed from a system due to a low transfer rate :lol:

Since BI is stated to require a "fast drive" for the New folder AND the database, it made sense for me to add a SSD just for those two things. Keeping them both off of the Windows OS drive makes sense too. The slower WD drive was then used for the Storage folder, but it will only be accessed when BI5 is moving files out of New.

Can you slave the old drive back in to try it for "New" (and the database) as a test ? Or do you have a spare SSD that you could test it with ?
Forum Moderator.
Problem ? Ask and we will try to assist, but please check the Help file.
Matts1984

Post by Matts1984 »

My drives are 10k (I'm pretty sure, they could be 7200) but my storage comes from a pool of 12 drives in RAID6 soooo, I haven't seen any read performance issues.
Blue Iris 5.8.9.x | Server 2022 VM | Xeon E5-2660 v3 @ 2.60GHz - 16 Cores | 24GB RAM | 8TB RAID | Sophos UTM WAF | Mostly various SV3C Cameras