Update Release - Notes

General discussion about Blue Iris
GBillR

Update Release - Notes

Post by GBillR »

Hi everyone.

I am wondering if there is a place to go (here or somewhere) to find release notes from recent updates to BI 5. One of the recent updates required action on my end to make the windows service work properly again, and it would have been nice to see that in some release note or something... maybe I missed it. I did notice a warning in the log file, but the exact wording of the error did not describe how to fix my issue.

Thanks!

Bill
WmG

Re: Update Release - Notes

Post by WmG »

The help file is regularly updated and includes an Update Notes section. I would hope you would have seen a reference there but in my experience it can be a bit hit and miss. I have a couple regular warnings that show up in my log and some help file searching revealed what were non-issues in my application. Happy hunting
hotbrass

Post by hotbrass »

WmG wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:07 pm The help file is regularly updated and includes an Update Notes section. I would hope you would have seen a reference there but in my experience it can be a bit hit and miss. I have a couple regular warnings that show up in my log and some help file searching revealed what were non-issues in my application. Happy hunting
What help file? The one in BI5? If the update is full of bugs the help file will not have the bug fixes and my computer is not on the internet so the help file cannot be regularly updated. I am staying with 5.2.0.0 because I am not able to clear the service failed to start bug in the latest round of updates.

Has anyone written step by step instructions for clearing this? All the "suggestions" I have seen have not resolved the issue.
GBillR

Post by GBillR »

WmG wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:07 pm The help file is regularly updated and includes an Update Notes section. I would hope you would have seen a reference there but in my experience it can be a bit hit and miss. I have a couple regular warnings that show up in my log and some help file searching revealed what were non-issues in my application. Happy hunting
Thank you for pointing me in the right direction. The help file does indeed include the notes for all of the 5.X.X releases. Can't believe I did not look there.

That said, there are no notes that I could find for the "point" releases such as 5.2.5.7, which just came out.

Anyone know where this information lives (if anywhere)?
Matts1984

Post by Matts1984 »

I'm with you Bill, it would be nice to see some release notes posted - preferably to this official forum. I too originally did not realize there was the Updates section in the help file but also the help file is updated AFTER you update. I'd like to read about what I'm getting into before updating. While any update introduces the possibility of new issues, I've not run into any that others are reporting. Everything I've encountered was something that could be corrected on my end and I've sought help rather than jump to blame the software. Once I got things right on my side, the warnings went away (currently on 5.2.5.7).
Blue Iris 5.8.8.x | Server 2022 VM | Xeon X5650 @ 2.67GHz - 12 Cores | 12GB RAM | 7TB RAID | Sophos UTM WAF | 4x SV3C 5MP Bullet A | 1x SV3C 5MP PTZ HX | 1x SV3C 5MP Bullet HX | 1x SV3C 5MP Dome HX | 2x Amcrest 5MP Bullet
JeeperG

Post by JeeperG »

Hi everyone,

I have BI V3 for 6 years with 4 cameras. For a few days now, my 2 FOSCAM cameras have been working more, but my 2 HEDEN cameras have been working.
Do you think it's because the V3 is too old?
I bought the V3 without maintenance. Do you know if it is possible to upgrade to V4 or V5? If yes, how much does it cost?
What is the license mode? Do we then pay only one shot or repeatedly for a subscription?

Thanks a lot,
Thierry
WmG

Post by WmG »

Hopefully you've found the second part out on your own at https://blueirissoftware.com/#download since your post but just in case: $69.95 with discounts available here and there but I always figured it was well worth it at that price with 100% of that cost going to the developer. You can pay for it once and keep using it. Paying annual support is not required but allows you major version (V4 to V5) upgrades without additional cost while supporting the ongoing development and access to email support. It appears your V3 is too old for a direct upgrade from a support payment.

As to your present issue, it would probably be better in its own topic thread and with the second sentence edited for clarification. Including what version of Windows you're using might also be useful. If it's the ever changing W10 with V3 all bets are off. Good luck