Looking to resolve my BI-5 setup frustration

General discussion about Blue Iris
BeaSStMaster

Looking to resolve my BI-5 setup frustration

Post by BeaSStMaster »

I had BI-4 installed on an under-equipped PC and had problems with the CPU being pegged at 99% at all times, so I've purchased a new server with i7 processor, 16Gb RAM, 500Gb SSD and 16Tb of storage. I have between 16-20 cameras, primarily Axis (various models) and all are visible via IP address. I've installed BI-5 and now, for the questions: (I'm nowhere near being a programming or router guy so your assistance in my actions and education are appreciated)

1. Are there any specific port forwarding assignments that I need to create other than the server IP?

2. Are there any router settings that I should implement or might be recommended?

3. Adding cameras is proving problematic. I still have the previous PC. Can I backup the camera information from BI-4 and "restore" to BI-5? Is this a fairly straightforward process?

4. Are there any other recommendations that seasoned Blue Iris users can share with a relative newbe?
Thixotropic

Re: Looking to resolve my BI-5 setup frustration

Post by Thixotropic »

BeaSStMaster wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:05 pm 2. Are there any router settings that I should implement or might be recommended?
One thing I routinely hear is to turn off UPnP in the router and in all cameras that have it as a feature. It does seems to be a huge potential security hole (it's turned off in everything I use).

If you want to access the web UI remotely over a secure connection, I recommend ngrok for a quick and easy solution. It has some minor limitations but it works well and is very easy to get up and running: https://blueirissoftware.com/forum/view ... f=8&t=1033
Blue Iris 5.x x64 | Windows 10 Pro x64 | 16GB RAM | i7-7700 3.6 GHz | 1TB HDD | 2TB RAID NAS | 9 Cameras | Almost Dual NIC | 2KVA UPS
HeneryH

Post by HeneryH »

I tried to capture some notes about getting access to a BI system in a home environment from the internet.

https://blueirissoftware.com/Forum/view ... 3191#p3192
Ferguson

Post by Ferguson »

For clarity if not obvious: Port forwarding and uPnP and firewall rules all relate to allowing access to the cameras and/or blue iris from outside your home network. For access only from inside, none of this is needed (or desirable). Properly setting up outside-to-inside access is not all that hard to do, but it is quite hard to do securely.
chuckt

Post by chuckt »

...and YES, use backup & Restore. There will likely already be a current backup there that you can use.